Bit the bullet and bought a 2015 Escalade ESV - Now I have a bunch of quesions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Demer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My XL Denali can close with a kick. Comes in handy when I've got 400 grocery bags on my arms and I'm not near strong enough to lift them up to push the button.

OP
OP
V

Vector

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From your recent posts, if you feel the situation is just as much as your own fault for not being aware of your purchase as the dealer is for their lack of advertising or inaccuracies. If you really want a vehicle with those features and 8-Speed just do your best to negotiate down the 7% see if they’ll come down to 3.5%-5% pay the fee and walk away to find the car you want.

I own my daily drivers for 10 years/200K + miles for me that’s what I’d do. But may not be a big deal if you’re an owner who trades in every 3-4 years for a new rig.

I appreciate the thought and recommendation.
Many people only look at things from their own interest, and I can be guilty of that at times also. However if I had the knowledge I do now (after just another week of research), I'd not be in this situation. Believe me, if this was a Caddy or GM dealer, I'd feel differently, as I would expect the salesmen to know such an important feature(or lack thereof).
As it turns out this guy was self admittedly not familiar with all the features of the various makes of cars they have on the lot.

I only buy used, typically from private sellers, and I sell mine that way also. The 2007 I traded was at 182k and still in decent shape, but I just didn't have the time to do the usual private buy & then sell.

That said, if it were just the restocking fee at 7% of $42k, that would be one thing. However it is combined with exchanging it for another vehicle from them. Presently, they only have one other ESV, and though it is less money, it is rough ( actually that is not even an option, because it is also an early build with the 6 speed).

So unless they come up with something we would agree to in advance and pretty quick, I doubt they are going to let me continue to put miles on this one until they do.

OP
OP
V

Vector

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont think they close. My LTZ doesn't close. You kick open while your hands are full and then push the button to close. That is how the Chevrolet Dealer demo'd it also.

Its also SUUUPER finnicky and took me months of trying to find the exact sweet spot for it to even work KNOWING i had it.

Heres more http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=5281

Thanks for your reply. I am not sure about the Sub LTZ, but here is a video I just found about the close feature on the Escalade.

I did notice it will do the feature when the fob is in my pocket. When I tried it during the test drive, the car was running and the fob was in the center console. So maybe that is why it didn't work before with the salesman. I will have to try it in different conditions with the vehicle running with auto-start and/or with the fob elsewhere. Still I am not sure why it will not close.

Edit - I just found this video that addresses it opening and what needs to be set, but nothing on it closing;

I am wondering what sensor it is working off of, since I do not see one. Maybe the sensors in the bumper?

`

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JC, read the owner's manual through and through that came with your truck. This is in regards to learning what features your particular truck has and how to operate them. Did anyone suggest decoding your RPO sheet so you know which features you have and do not have? GM and Compnine are two places that offer such a service.

Now, about your want for that 8-speed. Have you read about all the horror stories with that things? And a first year transmission to boot. Count your blessings that you have the tried and true 6L80E!

The benefit of the 6 speeds over 4 was to get the load moving when towing from a dead stop and to offer a steeper overdrive when using lower rear end gear ratios, again, for towing.

I reckon the 8 and 10 speeds are to keep the engine rpms into a narrow band for government CAFE fuel economy requirements. Count your blessings with that 6 speed.

Get the GM MDI interface and GDS software so you can trouble shoot on your own and see what's going on inside the computers and electrical system. You still have the option of a letting the dealer do the work but at least you'll know what's wrong and what to expect.

Enjoy the new truck, they're very nice!

OP
OP
V

Vector

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JC, read the owner's manual through and through that came with your truck. This is in regards to learning what features your particular truck has and how to operate them. Did anyone suggest decoding your RPO sheet so you know which features you have and do not have? GM and Compnine are two places that offer such a service.

Now, about your want for that 8-speed. Have you read about all the horror stories with that things? And a first year transmission to boot. Count your blessings that you have the tried and true 6L80E!

The benefit of the 6 speeds over 4 was to get the load moving when towing from a dead stop and to offer a steeper overdrive when using lower rear end gear ratios, again, for towing.

I reckon the 8 and 10 speeds are to keep the engine rpms into a narrow band for government CAFE fuel economy requirements. Count your blessings with that 6 speed.

Get the GM MDI interface and GDS software so you can trouble shoot on your own and see what's going on inside the computers and electrical system. You still have the option of a letting the dealer do the work but at least you'll know what's wrong and what to expect.

Enjoy the new truck, they're very nice!

Indeed a poster did suggest getting the RPO and I intend on doing that in the coming weeks. Now that it is likely is my truck, rather than one I might have gotten out of.
Mine did not come with an owners manual, but in my experience, most are not specific to the individual car, and discuss items/options other levels may have. I seriously doubt it was specific to a non 15.5, but I guess you never know.
Regardless while I will endevour to get an owners manual for a 2015 early build, coming here to get advice/knowledge from fellow posters is one of the benefits of this forum.

Now in regard to the 6 speed, I do appreciate your view. While I have heard negative stories about the 8 speed, I have assumed the reasons for the change were valid, both towing wise and get up and go. I own a Corvette after all, and while no SUV has ever made me think I am in a fast vehicle, I like as much get up and go as possible. Hence the last Sub I had had aftermarket exhaust, intake, etc. It was still a SUV with a 5.3, but at least it was a little more tolerable from a quickness standpoint.

Maybe this is a blessing in that I paid $5k less than what the market seems to be at locally for 2015 ESV's, and it is in seemingly great shape inside and out. I am going to take it into a top Cadillac dealership to look it over top to bottom, as the extended warranty I bought has free diagnostic evaluations with a loaner too boot. I will get them to fix everything, including the electronic gremlin that I might have.

Speaking of which, when you lock and arm the system, how long are the interior center contel panel lights (for A/C, radio, etc.) suppose to stay on? Mine, along with two red LED's on the door lock buttons stay on for at least several minutes. With a new battery and the charging system working, I have not had an need to jump it like in the beginning, but I am not sure that is normal.

`

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of which, when you lock and arm the system, how long are the interior center contel panel lights (for A/C, radio, etc.) suppose to stay on?

On previous generations the length of time can be changed by the owner through the DIC. How deep into South Florida are you? Last month a couple fellas and I from this forum met up and raced our trucks at Moroso... uh, Palm Beach International Raceway in West Palm/Jupiter.

OP
OP
V

Vector

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On previous generations the length of time can be changed by the owner through the DIC. How deep into South Florida are you? Last month a couple fellas and I from this forum met up and raced our trucks at Moroso... uh, Palm Beach International Raceway in West Palm/Jupiter.

If you guys wanted to get a few beers and some good food at Twin Peaks, I could meet you up in Palm Beach some weekend, but not to race the SUV. Having ridden a turbo crotch rocket, and having a ZR-1, racing an SUV wouldn't be my idea of much fun.

jason952

Reaction score
Late to the thread but a few thoughts.

If you are the one buying used from various places, YOU have to be the most informed. No matter what car I have bought from any dealer or person, I have known most about what I was buying since the risk is on my side of the deal.

Our 2015 also had a battery die after 2.5 years, that's all you are going to get, and its winter, replace it with one from a parts store that is the right size, optimas don't fit in there well imo. It's a pain to get out and you have to remove all the braces and loosen the coolant reservoir.

Also, if it had round badges, it's a 6 speed, 8 has rectangular badge which is part of the mid year change.

I just got rid of an 8 speed and picked up a 10 speed yesterday. The 8 speed sucks, I rather have the 6 and skip the other minor features, the phone pad won't even accept a big iPhone anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaaalomari

Latest posts