Bit the bullet and bought a 2015 Escalade ESV - Now I have a bunch of quesions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vector

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was leaning toward a Denali XL, but had a deal too good to pass up on a 2015 ESV.
I was under the impression that a Luxury edition had most of the options, but my knowledge of when certain options became available is lacking.

1) One thing I am not sure about is whether it has an 8 speed tranny or a 6 speed (I've read where early production 2015's were manufactured with the 6 speed), but I am not certain of that, how to tell, or the date cut off?

2) Now for some observations and questions related to this one. When looking at various Escalades/Denali's, I notice some center console lids had what looked to be loose leather, almost like excess skin on a dog that is not taut. This one has a great conditioned interior, with the exception of the center console which has loose leather and the lid is not tight.
Any reason this is the case on not only mine, but others I have looked at?

3) I am not sure what year the wireless charging was offered in Escalades, but since mine does not have it, can it be added with exchanging the center console lid?

4) Also, certain Escalades seem to have the rear kick feature where the liftgate will rise automatically when you wave your foot under the rear bumper, provided you have the fob. Was that on later years or a different package than what I have with the Luxury package?

5) What is up with the battery in these things. The one I bought had a dead battery that did take a charge. I was going to swap the Optima Yellow Top from my 2007 into it, and instead of just the two top posts and one side post connection, this thing (as you guys in the know are aware of) has at least 6 more connections.
I can only imagine what a replacement battery would cost, but I suspect some of you have alternatives?

6) I have only one remote/keyfob, so other than the dealer, any place/vendor you'll typically go to get another?

Needless to say if some of you only reply with a couple of answers you know about to my multitude questions, I'd appreciate it.

`

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know what the rpo code is for 6 or 8 speed transmission but I think a very easy way to tell is to look at your shifter handle at the +/- control and see if it allows you to shift 1-6 or 1-8, I think they added the automatic rear lift gate feature in 2016 but I could be wrong, haven't seen a battery with 6 connectors?? are you sure that you are not just seeing additional connections on the positive cable? my 2012 has like 4 but there is still only 2 post's on the battery, remote fobs can be found on amazon or ebay and many other places cheaper than from the dealer still has to be programmed though.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should be a 15.5 which was produced after 10-15-14 (drivers door frame sticker). Easy way to tell should be the center console charging pad, will also have the kick open tail gate and 4g lite.

OP
OP
V

Vector

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what the rpo code is for 6 or 8 speed transmission but I think a very easy way to tell is to look at your shifter handle at the +/- control and see if it allows you to shift 1-6 or 1-8, I think they added the automatic rear lift gate feature in 2016 but I could be wrong, haven't seen a battery with 6 connectors?? are you sure that you are not just seeing additional connections on the positive cable? my 2012 has like 4 but there is still only 2 post's on the battery, remote fobs can be found on amazon or ebay and many other places cheaper than from the dealer still has to be programmed though.

I will try your suggestion on the shifting (6 vs 8), however the next posters comment has me worried.

In regard to the battery, there is a cover over the section closest to the engine, but it has a multitude of individual cables attached to bolts which seem to feed into another cable going directly to the positive terminal. If someone has a picture great, otherwise I can try to take a picture myself in the coming days.

In regard to the programming a new remote, is this strictly something a dealer must do, or can the owners follow XYZ and program it?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes the positive cable has a longer metal portion on it with fuses and other leads coming off of it and it has a rubber cover to protect you from accidently grounding out anything to it, but it will still be a standard 2 post battery, the key fob has to be done by the dealer or some locksmiths might have the electronics to do it if they are keeping up with the times, these 15+ are all locked up with cryptographic security now

OP
OP
V

Vector

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should be a 15.5 which was produced after 10-15-14 (drivers door frame sticker). Easy way to tell should be the center console charging pad, will also have the kick open tail gate and 4g lite.

As I alluded to in the previous post, I am worried based on your information, mine may not be an 8 speed transmission. This despite the ad from this dealer claiming the one I bought had an 8 speed transmission. The salesman said as much also.
My manufacture date on the inner door sill (so low and recessed compared to the typical placement it is obscured to the point I didn't even see it) is 06/14.
While I am not sure what the 4g lite is, I do not have the center console charging pad, nor the kick open tail gate.
Since I mentioned to the person who made my appointment and to the salesman who showed me several choices (two Escalades & one Denali) that I was looking for & willing to pay more for the 6.2 engine, the 8 speed transmission, and magnetic suspension, it looks like I might not have the tranny I thought I paid for.

OP
OP
V

Vector

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes the positive cable has a longer metal portion on it with fuses and other leads coming off of it and it has a rubber cover to protect you from accidently grounding out anything to it, but it will still be a standard 2 post battery, the key fob has to be done by the dealer or some locksmiths might have the electronics to do it if they are keeping up with the times, these 15+ are all locked up with cryptographic security now

This is what it looks like;

4001473.gif

post-132991-0-02174900-1407720858.jpg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes that's just a cover and lead to power more electronics in the vehicle, the regular battery is under that plastic plate/cover

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4g lite is the wi-fi hotspot in your vehicle offered through on-star. According to my Google search the 15.5 offered 8-speed, wi-fi, phone charging pad, kick open tail gate and 360 view camera. You lost out on a lot and I would be talking to the GM at the Dealer you purchased the Escalade from.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu