Best CAI for 5.3L?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
That sock won't do you any good. I had a CAI on my 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged. It had a sock on it when what I'm about to share occurred.

Late July 2010 we had a soaker of a rain storm hit out here. It just parked itself right over my neighborhood and unleashed its fury. Since we had Directv we lost all reception, so I decided to run to Blockbuster and get some videos. The trip was ~4 miles each way. I had no problems getting there. On the way back the same road became flooded, although it wasn't very deep. Just like everybody else, I went to the left lane to go through the shallowest part of the water. It's depth was not high enough to touch any body panels. Here's where it gets interesting. Coming the opposite direction was a lifted Toyota truck. It came through so fast that it created a good sized wake. A little bit of splashing and my oiled filter with a water sock on out sucked up enough water to hydrolock the engine. Again, the water was not deep enough to touch a body panel. The wake was not large enough to submerge the filter. The filter was directly behind the headlight. The only difference is that it was in between the fender and firewall, just like the factory design. Amazingly, the miniscule amount of water found managed to make it all the way through the intake, which required an upward 90° bend, plus another lesser bend, through the throttle body, through the supercharger, through a U-shaped intake manifold that went down then up before going to the engine and included 4 laminovas for the air-to-water intercooler. Due to my experience with a rain storm, and seeing the design from CAI inc, I'm concerned something like a heavy rain storm, like the ones that are typical in the southern U.S, could cause expensive problems for somebody using this intake. If CAI inc could show us they have tested for weather conditions it would help put my, and maybe a few other peoples, mind at ease.

If CAI inc wants to see the intake I was running on my Cobalt they can go to the company's website. It is www.ottperformance.com. I was using their 3 inch CAI.

Btw, I've also had problems with oiled air filters on MAF sensors. Maybe this is why GM went with dryflow on their CAI cone filter.

Last edited:

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you!! Do you mind my asking what you dislike about oiled filters. Usually the main concern is oil getting on the MAF. I'd be interested in hearing your reasoning and can hopefully offer some information that you may find helpful.

This is the exact reason of why I do not want another CAI that is oiled. Will you guys be making a CAI with a dry filter anytime soon? Also is this CAI for the 6.2L or 5.3L?

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
This is the exact reason of why I do not want another CAI that is oiled. Will you guys be making a CAI with a dry filter anytime soon? Also is this CAI for the 6.2L or 5.3L?

Oiled filters are fine. The issue arises when people soak the filter with it like it's a pan that needs PAM cooking oil before scrambling eggs on a Saturday morning.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oiled filters are fine. The issue arises when people soak the filter with it like it's a pan that needs PAM cooking oil before scrambling eggs on a Saturday morning.

Yea but the fact that it's even an issue sucks... no problems at all with dry filters. So when choosing dry or oiled, why not go with the one that can't even cause an issue like ******* up your MAF sensor?

Reaction score
Hey guys, great feedback. The reasons you listed for your preference for dry over oiled filters is what I am used to hearing. I wanted to address a few of the things mentioned above to hopefully give you some useful information, here goes:

Regarding Oiled Filters

1. This may be an over the top comparison, but usually after I say it a lot of people think about it and agree that it makes sense. When concerned about the filter getting over-oiled and causing issues with the MAF or other electronics, it is no different then the engine oil in your car. What I mean by that is oil for your car is a good thing (I don't think anyone will argue that), however when changing your oil you could have big issues and even wreck your engine if you just kept pouring oil in until it reached the brim. The problem lies not in the oil, but in the over oiling of the filter. Our filters come pre-oiled and ready to use, so its not something you need to mess with. A few ways to avoid this problem.
A. If you are really that worried about over oiling the filter when "recharging" it yourself, just avoid the whole issue and buy a replacement filter. Many of our customers choose that option, and because the oiled filters can run so much longer than a dry filter without needing to replace it, you still end up spending less than if you were replacing the dry filter at regular intervals.
B. Don't over oil it if recharging yourself. The instructions tell how to properly oil the filter, basically a thin even coat to cover all the filter media. The objective is to get a nice even covering, not to saturate it.

Since we have been in business since 2004 we have probably sold somewhere close to 4k-5k CAI's, and we have never had a single reported incident of a customer receiving a filter that was over oiled from the factory and caused a problem. In that same period we have only had 1 customer over oil their filter and need a new MAF. The problem only occurred because the customer used a different brand recharge kit, and used the entire bottle on one filter, both against our instruction. A recharge kit will typically get 2 uses out of it, so if you are reaching the 1/2 way point on the oil bottle you know you have applied enough.

Regarding water intrusion (aka hydro-lock)

Up until we released this new truck line a few weeks ago, every system we have sold in the last 8 years aside from the TBSS has been for cars. We are an industry leader in the 2010+ Camaro market selling more than a thousand Camaro units every year, as well as for the Imapala, GTO, Monte Carlo, Grand Prix, Regal, and more. The reason I bring that up is because cars obviously being lower to the ground would have a much bigger chance for hydro lock.

We have never had a single incident with someone reporting any kind of water intrusion with our intake. In terms of being sealed off, it is pretty much as sealed as you are going to get. Especially since most aftermarket does not even have a top, ours has a lid on it and seals tightly to the contours of the engine bay, and its insulated. Basically our is about as watertight as you are going to get in the aftermarket world.

Also, without getting into to much detail, we are under contract from GMPP for 2 different vehicles CAI's (both cars). GMPP has done extensive testing on our intake systems, tests that I did not even know existed. One of their main concerns was water intrusion, and they tested for it in some extreme ways. We were "Unofficially" told from the chief engineer on the project that our CAI tested better than any other aftermarket intake they have ever tested.

Oiled vs. Dry regarding performance

CAI Inc. has made a company decision that we are sticking with Air filters that are oiled. We have done all the testing and research we need to come to that conclusion, and we feel that an oiled filter has better filtration, longer life, and better performance. In fact, last year I wrote an article for a Automotive blog, here is the link if you are interested:

http://thehorsepowerjunkies.com/gen...a-dry-or-oiled-media-filter-for-your-vehicle/

I hope that you guys find this information helpful, remember that I am always here to help as much as possible and encourage you to let me know if you have any questions. :)

Fast55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never had an issue with K&N on anything from motorcycles to race cars, off road trucks, and my seriously modded E55. It's not hard to clean and service these filters, just use the right cleaner (nothing else!!), let it dry COMPLETELY, and oil per the instructions. Over the life of the vehicle, it's only going to happen a few times for anything street driven, so no big deal. I just find it hard to believe the HP and torque claims on anything that isn't tuned for it. My 6.2 Tahoe definitely needed a re-tune over the original BB files when an Airraid tube and K&N were added to the stock air box.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Yea but the fact that it's even an issue sucks... no problems at all with dry filters. So when choosing dry or oiled, why not go with the one that can't even cause an issue like ******* up your MAF sensor?

This is true. But I think it is oiled for a reason. That oil helps to stop throttle body sticking that may lead to rough idles.

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 AM ----------

You mean like K&N does when manufacturing and packaging their filters?

My filter had a small amount of oil out of the package. It was just about as much as I put on every year when I clean it.
I don't have an actual intake though, just the Jr. kit which includes a intake tube and K&N oiled filter. I have been using the filter for almost 3.4 years now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gradymossx4