Best CAI for 5.3L?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoliO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have install instruction for the GM Performance Intake they could scan and email to me? I just bought one off ebay for only 200 bucks but no instructions.

The instructions are not really needed and the pics are horrible. There is nothing to it.

Tools I used: Flat head screw driver, phillips screw driver, and a set of pliers.

Here is what I did from recollection. :)

1. Remove the engine cover. It snaps off easily.
2. Unplug the valve cover breather line from the intake (it is on the passengers side near the rear of the intake. It pulls out easily. And also unconnect the MAF sensor.
3. Unscrew the clamp from the intake to the throttle body.
4. Unscrew the MAF sensor from the intake.
5. Pull the intake tube out.
6. Unscrew the MAF sensor from the air box and remove it (note the orientation of the MAF sensor as it will need to go back in the same position). Set the MAF sensor on a table and don't damage it!
7. Pull the air box out. It is held in with rubber connectors so you have to pull it hard to unsnap them. 1 of these connectors will be removed (see #8 below) and put on the new box.
8. The stock air box has a rubber connector at the bottom that you have to remove and install on the new box. You can't miss it as the new box has 2 of the 3 already installed. Find the missing one and take it off the stock box and install on the new one.
9. Install new air box. Make sure all 3 rubber connectors seat properly in the holes. And install the new filter in the air box. By the way this filter is replaceable (P/N: 19202661) for around $45.
10. Install the MAF sensor on the new box. Make sure to orient it the same way it was before you took it off the stock box.
11. Install the 90 deg rubber elbow on the throttle body and secure with supplied clamp. Note: do not tighten down the clamp all the way. Leave some slack so you can rotate as needed to get everything aligned.
12. Install the polished tube to the 90 deg elbow going to the throttle body, use supplied clamp.
13. Install the other 90 deg elbow to the other side of the polished tube. Use supplied clamps and again leave the clamps a little loose to rotate as needed to align.
14. Install the rubber 90deg elbow from the polished tube to the MAF sensor. Becareful with the MAF sensor as it has wires inside that can be damaged.
9. Make sure all the pieces are connected correct and align pieces as needed then tighten all clamp connectors. Also re-connect the MAF sensor.
10. The new kit comes with a long hose. I cut about 4" off and used that small piece to connect the valve cover breather line to the tube that is on the bottom of the polished intake tube. Secure both connections with the supplied clamps.
11. Install the filter cover.
12. Install the engine cover, close hood, and take it for a spin. :)

Last edited:

bmwme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
12. Install the polished tube to the 90 deg elbow going to the throttle body.

This is the part I'm having trouble with. But I think I just figured it out in my head. I was having trouble because if I put the bend over the coolant tube the breather hose was facing foward. I ran out of time and gave up. But if I flipped that tube it would be going the other way ;)

Thanks for the tips and letting me talk it out. haha

Hopefully I'll get it installed tonight.

RoliO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the part I'm having trouble with. But I think I just figured it out in my head. I was having trouble because if I put the bend over the coolant tube the breather hose was facing foward. I ran out of time and gave up. But if I flipped that tube it would be going the other way ;)

Thanks for the tips and letting me talk it out. haha

Hopefully I'll get it installed tonight.

Look at my "Cold air kit" thread a few threads below this one. You will see a pic of the kit before I installed it. The way the polished tube is positioned in the engine is the same way you see it in the pic. The bend should be to the back. So the lines should connect easy and out of the way.
I put my kit in on Sunday and have had no issues. The first few hours after you install it will be fun. I drove around gunning it at each stop so I could see if there was a difference in performance. I'm sure I burned a lot of gas. :D

Jmat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The instructions are not really needed and the pics are horrible. There is nothing to it.

Tools I used: Flat head screw driver, phillips screw driver, and a set of pliers.

Here is what I did from recollection. :)

1. Remove the engine cover. It snaps off easily.
2. Unplug the valve cover breather line from the intake (it is on the passengers side near the rear of the intake. It pulls out easily. And also unconnect the MAF sensor.
3. Unscrew the clamp from the intake to the throttle body.
4. Unscrew the MAF sensor from the intake.
5. Pull the intake tube out.
6. Unscrew the MAF sensor from the air box and remove it (note the orientation of the MAF sensor as it will need to go back in the same position). Set the MAF sensor on a table and don't damage it!
7. Pull the air box out. It is held in with rubber connectors so you have to pull it hard to unsnap them. 1 of these connectors will be removed (see #8 below) and put on the new box.
8. The stock air box has a rubber connector at the bottom that you have to remove and install on the new box. You can't miss it as the new box has 2 of the 3 already installed. Find the missing one and take it off the stock box and install on the new one.
9. Install new air box. Make sure all 3 rubber connectors seat properly in the holes. And install the new filter in the air box. By the way this filter is replaceable (P/N: 19202661) for around $45.
10. Install the MAF sensor on the new box. Make sure to orient it the same way it was before you took it off the stock box.
11. Install the 90 deg rubber elbow on the throttle body and secure with supplied clamp. Note: do not tighten down the clamp all the way. Leave some slack so you can rotate as needed to get everything aligned.
12. Install the polished tube to the 90 deg elbow going to the throttle body, use supplied clamp.
13. Install the other 90 deg elbow to the other side of the polished tube. Use supplied clamps and again leave the clamps a little loose to rotate as needed to align.
14. Install the rubber 90deg elbow from the polished tube to the MAF sensor. Becareful with the MAF sensor as it has wires inside that can be damaged.
9. Make sure all the pieces are connected correct and align pieces as needed then tighten all clamp connectors. Also re-connect the MAF sensor.
10. The new kit comes with a long hose. I cut about 4" off and used that small piece to connect the valve cover breather line to the tube that is on the bottom of the polished intake tube. Secure both connections with the supplied clamps.
11. Install the filter cover.
12. Install the engine cover, close hood, and take it for a spin. :)

Roll, it's members like you that make this forum such a fantastic & helpful resource. :cheers:

Last edited:

bmwme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roll, it's members like you that make this forum such an fantastic & helpful resource. :cheers:

Agreed.

It is funny, I take apart my racecars and Jeep with no second thought, but as soon as I start tearing into my Tahoe or my wife's new SUV I start to have nightmares about breaking stuff and/or causing CELs.

Thanks

RoliO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed.

It is funny, I take apart my racecars and Jeep with no second thought, but as soon as I start tearing into my Tahoe or my wife's new SUV I start to have nightmares about breaking stuff and/or causing CELs.

Thanks

What kind of race car do you have?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo