Adding Acetone To The Fuel Tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lightning 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad idea from decades ago. Best way to increase fuel mileage is tires, and your driving style.

BADRIDES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My buddy turned me on to Super Tech Fuel Injector Additive, little 6 ounce bottles for under a buck at Walmart. Each one supposedly treats 21 gallons. I put two in with a full tank and got 22 mpg driving about 15 miles from the filling station to my home with light traffic.
I might have to try that

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove about 500 miles today. First tank had two 6 oz. bottles of the Super Tech additive, then I added two more and let it idle for a few minutes before I refilled it at less than 1/8 tank. I can't say for sure if the additive made the change, but I noticed when we stopped about 20 minutes after that fill-up that the engine was idling smooth as glass. It's always had a mildly annoying random stutter when idling.

Did 75 the whole way and averaged 18 MPG. With all the ups and downs on the central Alabama highways, I'd say that's plenty acceptable. Would probably be a strong 19 MPG on flat highway.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Drove about 500 miles today. First tank had two 6 oz. bottles of the Super Tech additive, then I added two more and let it idle for a few minutes before I refilled it at less than 1/8 tank. I can't say for sure if the additive made the change, but I noticed when we stopped about 20 minutes after that fill-up that the engine was idling smooth as glass. It's always had a mildly annoying random stutter when idling.

Did 75 the whole way and averaged 18 MPG. With all the ups and downs on the central Alabama highways, I'd say that's plenty acceptable. Would probably be a strong 19 MPG on flat highway.

What rear end do you have and what is your RPMs at 75mph?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The smoother idle happens when you use top tier 93 octane and not the "cheap stuff" which is more expensive in the long run. We averaged 14 mpg tonight @ 75 mph and the truck was at 7,300 pounds and burning E85 @ 62%.

Steve A

Reaction score
I worked with a guy years ago who dumped a quart of acetone in his 1978 Blazer, evidently he got a tank of gas with water in it. Used the acetone to dry it out or at least seemed to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLeritz