Adding Acetone To The Fuel Tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
I Watch a lot of YouTube videos and came across a several on Adding about 1 or 2 ounces of Acetone to a full tank of gas to improve fuel economy.

Has anyone tried this and if so what were your results?

From what I have seen is that you find the sweet spot and add the correct amount of Acetone to an empty tank. I know that Acetone evaporates quickly so from what I have learned it might only be good for a long trip where you will burn the entire tank in one day.

I am planning a Pre Retirement trip to Florida the first week of January and If this wont screw up my Vehicle I'm game for trying this out and picking up some extra MPG.

What do y'all think?

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I Watch a lot of YouTube videos and came across a several on Adding about 1 or 2 ounces of Acetone to a full tank of gas to improve fuel economy.

Has anyone tried this and if so what were your results?

From what I have seen is that you find the sweet spot and add the correct amount of Acetone to an empty tank. I know that Acetone evaporates quickly so from what I have learned it might only be good for a long trip where you will burn the entire tank in one day.

I am planning a Pre Retirement trip to Florida the first week of January and If this wont screw up my Vehicle I'm game for trying this out and picking up some extra MPG.

What do y'all think?

It won't hurt anything but I doubt it would make any noticeable difference. 1-2 OZ into 25-30 gallons is not even worth trying... IMO. If your injectors needed cleaning and you put a bottle of acetone into your tank, it would probably clean them up some.

My 2 bits.... YMMV... lol

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out the reviews on Royal Purple Max Clean.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2215098615302469

To skip to the good stuff:

3.2. Performance

...The best performance was obtained in this study at the blended fuel of AC10. In particular, the temperature of the exhaust gases compared to neat gasoline fuel increases by 0.8%, 2.3% and 5% when using blends of AC3, AC7 and AC10, respectively. Pressure in-cylinder increases by 2.3%, 9.1% and 10.5% when using blends of AC3, AC7 and AC10, respectively, compared to gasoline fuel. Engine power increases by 1.3%, 3.9% and 5.2% when using blends of AC3, AC7 and AC10, respectively, compared to gasoline fuel. Torque increases by 0.45%, 1.36% and 2.1% when using blends of AC3, AC7 and AC10, respectively, compared to gasoline fuel. Finally, volumetric efficiency increases by 0.9%, 1.6% and 3.2% when using blends of AC3, AC7 and AC10, respectively, compared to gasoline fuel.

According to the study, a blend of 10% acetone returned a 5.2% increase in HP and a 2.1% increase in TQ in the test engine. If the results were linear to the 5.3, this would bump the stock 320HP/335TQ up 16HP/7TQ to 336HP/342TQ. If an engine is making more power (increased efficiency), then it's fuel consumption should be less. Of course, you have to account for the cost of the acetone to determine if it's worth it. Then there are all the other factors- will the PCM read the change in the exhaust temperature and composition and adjust to negate any gains? Will the acetone negatively affect the catalytic converters?

Try a 10% ratio and report back after your trip. Repeat this test as many times as possible and keep the variables to a minimum.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
People dump acetone in their tanks trying to clean and restore their catalytic converters.

My buddy turned me on to Super Tech Fuel Injector Additive, little 6 ounce bottles for under a buck at Walmart. Each one supposedly treats 21 gallons. I put two in with a full tank and got 22 mpg driving about 15 miles from the filling station to my home with light traffic. Try that, not sure how corrosive pure acetone is.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
People dump acetone in their tanks trying to clean and restore their catalytic converters.

My buddy turned me on to Super Tech Fuel Injector Additive, little 6 ounce bottles for under a buck at Walmart. Each one supposedly treats 21 gallons. I put two in with a full tank and got 22 mpg driving about 15 miles from the filling station to my home with light traffic. Try that, not sure how corrosive pure acetone is.

You breaking 20 MPG is a miracle. I'll be on a little road trip to Alabama this weekend. I believe I'll pick up a few of those bottles and maybe clutter up your Useless Information thread some more with my results...

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2215098615302469

To skip to the good stuff:

3.2. Performance

...The best performance was obtained in this study at the blended fuel of AC10. In particular, the temperature of the exhaust gases compared to neat gasoline fuel increases by 0.8%, 2.3% and 5% when using blends of AC3, AC7 and AC10, respectively. Pressure in-cylinder increases by 2.3%, 9.1% and 10.5% when using blends of AC3, AC7 and AC10, respectively, compared to gasoline fuel. Engine power increases by 1.3%, 3.9% and 5.2% when using blends of AC3, AC7 and AC10, respectively, compared to gasoline fuel. Torque increases by 0.45%, 1.36% and 2.1% when using blends of AC3, AC7 and AC10, respectively, compared to gasoline fuel. Finally, volumetric efficiency increases by 0.9%, 1.6% and 3.2% when using blends of AC3, AC7 and AC10, respectively, compared to gasoline fuel.

According to the study, a blend of 10% acetone returned a 5.2% increase in HP and a 2.1% increase in TQ in the test engine. If the results were linear to the 5.3, this would bump the stock 320HP/335TQ up 16HP/7TQ to 336HP/342TQ. If an engine is making more power (increased efficiency), then it's fuel consumption should be less. Of course, you have to account for the cost of the acetone to determine if it's worth it. Then there are all the other factors- will the PCM read the change in the exhaust temperature and composition and adjust to negate any gains? Will the acetone negatively affect the catalytic converters?

Try a 10% ratio and report back after your trip. Repeat this test as many times as possible and keep the variables to a minimum.

Here is a link to 1 gallon of acetone at the depot:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-Strip-1-gal-Acetone-GAC18/100141096

For a cost of $17.27 a gal + tax.

Using Dub's calculations you would need about 3 gallons @ $17.27 per gallon = $51.81 + tax (in my case $3.63). So for $55 I can buy a whole second tank of gas. I seriously doubt you will see that kind of fuel mileage increase.

If you were doing it strictly for a power increase (assuming the ECM doesn't screw it up) then I guess it is ok, but there are cheaper ways to make power in the long run.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a link to 1 gallon of acetone at the depot:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-Strip-1-gal-Acetone-GAC18/100141096

For a cost of $17.27 a gal + tax.

Using Dub's calculations you would need about 3 gallons @ $17.27 per gallon = $51.81 + tax (in my case $3.63). So for $55 I can buy a whole second tank of gas. I seriously doubt you will see that kind of fuel mileage increase.

If you were doing it strictly for a power increase (assuming the ECM doesn't screw it up) then I guess it is ok, but there are cheaper ways to make power in the long run.

Which is probably why this idea never took off. If something so simple was so cost-effective, it surely wouldn't be a "secret" in this day and age of information technology. This is why I didn't even bother to look up the cost of acetone after that brief reading on the research.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup, not a whole lot to help NA engines. ethanol would be good if production werent so loose on meeting the E85 standard. my other car cant use e85 (direct injected doesnt flow enough) so i use a water/methanol injection system that sprays an addition 500cc for cooling, resists knock and raises octane. Its $35 for 5 gallons iirc but is only sprayed when in boost so 5 gal lasts a few months

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A buddy used to add tolulene (sp?) when trying to increase the octane rating of gasoline in the pre ethanol days when it was more powerful.

I put water injection on my '79 Buick Sportcoupe and it worked great. Later on I would mix it with alcohol and could run a little more boost but that is when I learned about the importance of fuel pressure/volume and melted a couple of pistons!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC