4x2 v. 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktpinnacle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My second thought on buying the vehicle right now is that the the 2018 will be out by December. Am i doing myself a giant disservice to but a 2017 that will be a year old within 5 months of ownership?

The Laura pricing is the best way to go if I just want to suck it up and get the 4x4. But being this close to the release of the 2018 makes it seem like waiting is the financially smart decision.

If you could get a rock bottom price with the 2017 to account for the depreciation, then you're good to go. I have an older 4x4 Yukon and only use the 4WD once a year (average), though i doubt that I would have been stuck without it. But I use if for work and play. It's a confidence builder to have it there. If you're ready to buy now, then it's time to start dealing IMO.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be concerned of buying a 2017. The longer you wait, the less likely you'll find what you want in a 2017. I'm not big on buying 1st year technology, but to each their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What tech on the 18 is new, 10 speed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glocksub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had mostly 4wd trucks my entire life. I live in the southeast where it isn't really "needed", but I prefer the stance of 4wd pickups vs the 2wd and I would occasionally need the feature when venturing off-road mildly when hunting.

That being said, I recently bought a 2wd 2017 Tahoe. Difference in fuel mileage between a 2wd and 4wd is negligible, if any. I had no intentions of spending this sort of money on a nice SUV and taking it off-road, plus we have atv's for that sort of thing now, no need to take the truck anymore.

I don't know about GMC, but 2018 Chevrolet tahoes/suburban will be on dealer lots well before December, as GM began accepting orders for them around the end of the first week of June. That's what prompted me to go ahead and buy now, as opposed to waiting until the end of the year and having a very slim selection of 2017's to choose from.

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a big proponent of 4x2. I live in the northeast (NJ) and drove an 08 avalanche w/ 2wd for the last 9 years (and a 2000 Ram 2500 2x4 for the 9 years before that). Never got stuck. The Stabilitrac, traction control, and common sense did everything I needed to keep me from needing to call a tow company. Drove through many a snow falls with major highways and interstates covered with a 6+ inches of white stuff and always got home with no issues.

My best MPG is up to 26.2 on the new 2x4 'Burb over a 50 mile range. 2WD = Less weight, less to break, less headaches. Unless you have a steep driveway, work in a field where you MUST get to work (EMS, Police, etc), or do a pretty long/rough commute, most people don't need 4x4. The new cars are much better in worse weather. This isn't a 1978 Firebird, or an '82 Caprice where you go to Sears and get your studded tires installed for the winter (again, speaking from experience).

As I said in the other thread, I would look into the purchasing options for a 17 vs an 18. You will most likely not get as good a deal on an '18 as you will a '17 but you have more choice selection by ordering.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a big proponent of 4x2. I live in the northeast (NJ) and drove an 08 avalanche w/ 2wd for the last 9 years (and a 2000 Ram 2500 2x4 for the 9 years before that). Never got stuck. The Stabilitrac, traction control, and common sense did everything I needed to keep me from needing to call a tow company. Drove through many a snow falls with major highways and interstates covered with a 6+ inches of white stuff and always got home with no issues.

My best MPG is up to 26.2 on the new 2x4 'Burb over a 50 mile range. 2WD = Less weight, less to break, less headaches. Unless you have a steep driveway, work in a field where you MUST get to work (EMS, Police, etc), or do a pretty long/rough commute, most people don't need 4x4. The new cars are much better in worse weather. This isn't a 1978 Firebird, or an '82 Caprice where you go to Sears and get your studded tires installed for the winter (again, speaking from experience).

As I said in the other thread, I would look into the purchasing options for a 17 vs an 18. You will most likely not get as good a deal on an '18 as you will a '17 but you have more choice selection by ordering.

Spot on...

But...you can live without ac, deodorant and running water too...but why would you want to?

thunderdawg

Reaction score
I have purchased two Tahoes with 4x4 mainly because I hunt almost every year in WY on a cattle ranch where the traction is anywhere from no problem to OMG. For me the price is worth it. On the other hand, to buy a 4x4 as a JIC for driving on paved roads, well another drive axle = another maintenance sink. It is truly up to you how you spend your money. Each situation is different. Enjoy the truck either way you decide.

OP
OP
P

Protect1989

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question but I would love to know the answer.

The 4x4 model has a 2wd, Auto, 4 hi, 4 lo, control knob to the left of the wheel. If you leave that option in 2wd will there be an increase in fuel economy (for a 4x4 model)? Or is there going to be a decrease over the standard 2wd version no matter what?

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, you are talking about 2-3mpg max 2wd truck vs 4wd truck. 2wd is 2wd, just what it means. Turn the button and only rear wheels power the truck, 4 wd hi or lo 4 wheels power it. Auto 'locks the hubs' and if truck feels slippage at any wheel it will send power to wheels that have traction......(in simplified form)
And btw there are no dumb questions the only dumb question is the one thats not asked. To quote @Tonyrodz .......hahaha

W8TVI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. Additionally, having previously lived in Oklahoma and travelled through the Texas panhandle, I know the potential is there for significant snow falls (which can sometimes be unexpected). Additionally, having the 4x4 capability (with the selector set to "Auto") can also be beneficial during heavy rain storms to keep the rear tires from slipping if you are trying to take off.

I live in northwestern lower Michigan, and we tend to get a pretty fair amount of snow every winter.

My '00 Yukon XL spends most of the winter in 2wd mode, and I don't bother to put it into 4wd until we get snow covered roads.
Most of the time, all you need is good tires (think about snow tires for winter if you are in such an area), and not driving stupid.

@Protect1989 One thing to keep in mind between 4x4 and 4x2 trucks is the weight of the 4x4 system is removed from your towing capacity.

OP
OP
P

Protect1989

Reaction score
^good to note. I dont plan on doing a whole lot of towing so the 4x4 interest is more for inclement weather and also for my volunteering with my local FD that brings me to some interesting areas. However I am leaning for the 4x2 due to the increased fuel economy, even if it is only 2-4mpg.

Honestly if I can get the 4x4 for the same price as the 4x2 with discounts then its a no brainer and I would go with the 4x4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645