'08 Tahoe 4x4 Motor Mount Education

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quick question...going in that way from the top/side, were you able to get to the two 10mm bolts that hold the cooler line block to the side of the pan above the filter without dropping the front driveshaft?

I replaced the cooler line gasket about a year ago and did it from underneath but I unbolted the front U joint and let the driveshaft rest on the swaybar.

This summer when I replace my cooler lines I plan on doing it like you did by removing the motor mount and I'll also be removing the exhaust manifold to remove the broken rear bolt.
Yes, I was. In fact I had to get a helicoil into one of the cooler line bolt holes from underneath, previously. Never dropped the front driveshaft.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
twist the driveshafts back and forth to see how much slop is in the transfer case
A bit confusing. I thought you were describing diagnosis of the differential mounts, not the transfer case.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A bit confusing. I thought you were describing diagnosis of the differential mounts, not the transfer case.
with the front tires off the ground, get under the vehicle and pull/push up and down on the front pinion and see if there is any movement at the front differential mount bushings.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, we've chased this sound around and finally found it. It is a suspension issue after all and not motor mount.
The sound changed from occasional to always when backing and braking and as a mild clunk.
Having someone watch the driver's side top control arm while doing that it turned out that the 20,000 mile old top control arm bushings had enough play to allow the bolts to move enough to make noise.
New control arm and no more noise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo