4x2 v. 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JayceeP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^good to note. I dont plan on doing a whole lot of towing so the 4x4 interest is more for inclement weather and also for my volunteering with my local FD that brings me to some interesting areas. However I am leaning for the 4x2 due to the increased fuel economy, even if it is only 2-4mpg.

Honestly if I can get the 4x4 for the same price as the 4x2 with discounts then its a no brainer and I would go with the 4x4.
I don't think the difference in mpg is that much. Maybe 1-2mpg. http://fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=36627&id=36617

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a thought for you @Protect1989 , simply because I watched a video a couple days ago where 4WD would have been handy. Lol. I watched a video of a guy with a brand new Z71 package LTZ Silverado 2500 HD, probably an 80 thousand dollar truck. He was on a boat launch ramp, put his back axle in the water, and when the boat(which didn't appear to be excessively heavy) came off the trailer and he started to pull up the ramp, his back tires just spun and the result was his brand new $80K truck going further into the water. Then he decided to put it in park, which was the probably the dumbest mistake I've ever seen, and no joke, his entire truck went for a swim. Like completely gone down the ramp and under water. All he had to do to correct was stop spinning the wheels, put it in 4Hi, and he would have been up the ramp. Instead he lost a brand new truck and had to have a wrecker show up and fish it out of the lake with a ridiculously long winch line. Lol. 4WD can come in handy in many different situations, not just inclement weather. I live in a ski town so 4x4 is part of life, and we also have a big lake, so I tow a big boat regularly. I see big lifted poser trucks with only 2WD spinning like crazy(which is quite entertaining!) both in snow and on the ramps. Just a though for you.

OP
OP
P

Protect1989

Reaction score
A very good point. Its one of those "Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it" situations. Ill have to revise my search and see if I can find a 4x4 that suite my needs.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Made it thirty some years driving in the south and occasionally in the north with 2WD vehicles. Can count on one hand how many times 4WD would have been handy. BUT! Now I have a wife and children and finally bought a truck so I made sure it had 4WD, not AWD, just in case. Just in case my wife or children get into some bad weather, the KO2s and putting the drivetrain into AUTO should be enough to get them out of harm's way.

But there are friends of mine here in the south who have always driven 4WD trucks and these fellas spend time on farms and ranches and getting to and from them on unpaved roads. They too want their loved ones to be as safe as can be and have decided that 4 wheel driven by the engine provides more safety than two.

OP
OP
P

Protect1989

Reaction score
Ive had a 4x2 vehicle for as long as I can remember without any real issues. Sure there were certain times where I thought "Would be nice if I had the security of 4wd or AWD", but nothing too pressing.

This is where I am torn. Personally I feel on a truck of this size and expense, not getting the 4wd option is a mistake. However the other half of my brain is shouting that I have never needed a 4wd vehicle and to save the money/additional mpg and go with the 4x2.

At the end of the day it comes down to cost. If I get a stellar deal on a 4x4 than you better believe ill pull the trigger on it.

cfoote

Reaction score
i am ready to pull the trigger on a yukon. Only problem is I can't find any that are built the way I want.

Laura has a pretty close vehicle to what I am looking for but it's a 4x4. I live in texas and don't really need the 4x4 capabilities.

Is it worth it to just get the 4x4 and save myself the hassle (no other dealer has even come close in price) or am I going to be wasting a ton more of fuel over the life of the vehicle? Anyone go from a 4x4 to a 4x2 (or vice versa)?

Get the 4X4 and call it a day. The gas mileage will be the same as a 2WD if you leave it in 2WD. I've had 3 4X4 Yukon Denali's since the new ones came out in 2014. My first was a 4X4 because that was the only one with the features that I wanted which I didn't have to wait two months for at the time. After the first one all of the other ones had to be 4X4 for me. I haven't used the 4WD much but it has come in handy in places where you didn't think that you will need it.

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the 4X4 and call it a day. The gas mileage will be the same as a 2WD if you leave it in 2WD. I've had 3 4X4 Yukon Denali's since the new ones came out in 2014. My first was a 4X4 because that was the only one with the features that I wanted which I didn't have to wait two months for at the time. After the first one all of the other ones had to be 4X4 for me. I haven't used the 4WD much but it has come in handy in places where you didn't think that you will need it.
I'd be interested in seeing if anyone else is trying to max out the MPGs in a stock 2017 yuk/hoe/burb and see where they are at. Real world driving is always different from posted numbers.

My max is still at 26.2 over 50 miles and thats probably because my longest non stop highway drive at the moment has been under 70 miles. I should be able to increase that on a longer drive. Curious if the 4x4 in real world would do the same.

ktpinnacle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested in seeing if anyone else is trying to max out the MPGs in a stock 2017 yuk/hoe/burb and see where they are at. Real world driving is always different from posted numbers.

My max is still at 26.2 over 50 miles and thats probably because my longest non stop highway drive at the moment has been under 70 miles. I should be able to increase that on a longer drive. Curious if the 4x4 in real world would do the same.

Pretty impressive. You've got a 4WD with cylinder deactivation still in play?

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My recollection is that I got 23-24 MPG on a fully loaded down Suburban (4 days old) going from Norfolk to Washington DC in May at 70+ mph with the AC blowing. The Suburban is 4x4 and is not modified.