4x2 v. 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Protect1989

Reaction score
i am ready to pull the trigger on a yukon. Only problem is I can't find any that are built the way I want.

Laura has a pretty close vehicle to what I am looking for but it's a 4x4. I live in texas and don't really need the 4x4 capabilities.

Is it worth it to just get the 4x4 and save myself the hassle (no other dealer has even come close in price) or am I going to be wasting a ton more of fuel over the life of the vehicle? Anyone go from a 4x4 to a 4x2 (or vice versa)?

sam123

Reaction score
I think it's worth getting the 4x4. You can always leave it in 2WD and the MPG penalty is only 1MPG, so nothing significant. You'll be saving a ton of money by getting it at Laura, which will help balance out the nominal MPG penatly anyways.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's worth getting the 4x4. You can always leave it in 2WD and the MPG penalty is only 1MPG, so nothing significant. You'll be saving a ton of money by getting it at Laura, which will help balance out the nominal MPG penatly anyways.
I agree. Additionally, having previously lived in Oklahoma and travelled through the Texas panhandle, I know the potential is there for significant snow falls (which can sometimes be unexpected). Additionally, having the 4x4 capability (with the selector set to "Auto") can also be beneficial during heavy rain storms to keep the rear tires from slipping if you are trying to take off.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live in the northeast and wouldn't ever consider a 4x2. I say in texas you could go either way. If you found what you like id say just do it. :2cents:

OP
OP
P

Protect1989

Reaction score
There is a dealer right near me that has close to the exact vehicle I am looking for. It is a 4x2 but has the power running boards and enhanced security system (the only 2 things on the truck I dont want).

I think if I can get him to match Laura's price then that is the way to go. If not then I will be making a trip up to St. Louis to purchase from Laura.

schaffer05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm didn't realize Laura GMC was in St. Louis lol. Wish I would have known about them before I bought the Tahoe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JayceeP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you can drive in 2wd I doubt the mpg difference will be all that material. It's full-time 4wd/AWD where the hit is more noticeable. This is also true for the 4Runners (my Limited is full-time 4wd). Just remember to engage the 4wd every now and then to keep things working.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4x4. Severe rain, mud, gnarly dirt roads, parking in a field that's wetter than you thought. Necessary? Nah. Nice to have and piece of mind? No doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
P

Protect1989

Reaction score
My second thought on buying the vehicle right now is that the the 2018 will be out by December. Am i doing myself a giant disservice to but a 2017 that will be a year old within 5 months of ownership?

The Laura pricing is the best way to go if I just want to suck it up and get the 4x4. But being this close to the release of the 2018 makes it seem like waiting is the financially smart decision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick