2017 Yukon XL towing heavy duty caliper upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Padraig

Reaction score
I see folks say this sometimes, but really surge brakes work well for what they are. They don't require an onboard electrical system, they are load adjusting, and they are low maintenance. It's more about the driver and their competency towing than it is about the system. As opposed to an EOH system adding more points of failure, especially in something like a private use trailer that will almost always see little if any maintenance.

We will have to agree to disagree. Been hauling boats for many years, big and small. Most with surge brakes. A few years ago I converted my twin axel boat trailer to EOH disc. A world of difference, reacts faster then surge and stops quicker. Also can apply trailer brakes on trailer to stop any trailer sway. Maintenance is about the same, check fluid and pads. Only additional would be keep electrical connections clean. I have never talked to anyone who switched that hasn't said they wished they had done it sooner.

Padraig

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am running the 18” wheels on my 2015i Yukon xl (6.2l)

It’s time to update the brakes but I want to keep the 18’s for off-road camping (overland camping etc)

the ppv brakes (black 6 piston) set up needs 20” wheels?

So that leaves me with the 2020+ regular brakes (the 4 piston calipers)?
Is it just calipers, rotors and then a spacer to space the caliper out?

Or should we get a new knuckle so it’s spaced correct? Or is it the splash shield on the unit bearing?
I don’t mind doing a spacer. But knuckles are often really cheap, about $80 each. So swapping knuckles isn’t s big deal to do it right.

I just need to make sure I can fit everything under 18’s

Attachments

• IMG_6772.jpeg
    IMG_6772.jpeg
    342.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6751.jpeg
    IMG_6751.jpeg
    421.7 KB · Views: 8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member