2016 Yukon/L680 Transmission upgrades for HD TOW 2016 Yukon XL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I reached out to Black Bear and they said my 2016 Yukon requires the Autcal V3 option. They said to swap the torque converter first if that's what I plan to do.
When selecting a converter make sure you get one with as thick a converter clutch disc as possible (I prob mentioned this before so forgive me, but it's worth repeating). I'd recommend .070" but no less than .050".

Also billet cover if you will be doing lots of towing/hauling with it. Lots of good converter builders nationally (TCI, Yank, Circle D, Florida TC, etc).

OP
OP
NiamLeeSin

NiamLeeSin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When selecting a converter make sure you get one with as thick a converter clutch disc as possible (I prob mentioned this before so forgive me, but it's worth repeating). I'd recommend .070" but no less than .050".

Also billet cover if you will be doing lots of towing/hauling with it. Lots of good converter builders nationally (TCI, Yank, Circle D, Florida TC, etc).
Thank you @NickTransmissions Does this one have all of that?

Also, I checked out your youtube channel and it's very good. It mainly taught me how much I don't know and where my limits are as a DIY'er.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you @NickTransmissions Does this one have all of that?

Also, I checked out your youtube channel and it's very good. It mainly taught me how much I don't know and where my limits are as a DIY'er.
I would imagine so but call Circle D to be sure as their link doesn't specify a clutch thickness but Circle D makes outstanding converters so you'd be in good shape if you went w/one of theirs.

Thanks for checking out the channel...Kindly sub if you haven't already and I'll be uploading several more 6L80 related videos over the next few weeks or so.

The nice thing about DYI'er limits is that they are completely adjustable, based on what the individual DYI'er wants to learn, take on and can fit in to the schedule (as you know, finding the time is toughest hurdle to get over)...That will be different for everyone but there's nothing more empowering than being able to fix something yourself, especially if you had always believed it was something you could never accomplish before...

OP
OP
NiamLeeSin

NiamLeeSin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would imagine so but call Circle D to be sure as their link doesn't specify a clutch thickness but Circle D makes outstanding converters so you'd be in good shape if you went w/one of theirs.

Thanks for checking out the channel...Kindly sub if you haven't already and I'll be uploading several more 6L80 related videos over the next few weeks or so.

The nice thing about DYI'er limits is that they are completely adjustable, based on what the individual DYI'er wants to learn, take on and can fit in to the schedule (as you know, finding the time is toughest hurdle to get over)...That will be different for everyone but there's nothing more empowering than being able to fix something yourself, especially if you had always believed it was something you could never accomplish before...
Yep, subscribed. With your help we can do much more for sure. However, I think basic economics theory implies that you should do transmission rebuilds, and I should do IT, and we should trade. That way we can do more, better.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, subscribed. With your help we can do much more for sure. However, I think basic economics theory implies that you should do transmission rebuilds, and I should do IT, and we should trade. That way we can do more, better.
Thanks, @NiamLeeSin.

Economics-wise, it boils down to opportunity cost. If one hour of IT work nets you more $$$ than you'd save working on your vehicle then it makes sense to outsource the repairs so you can use that hour(s) to perform IT work as its more profitable, all other things equal.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've read about others who still have high temps despite doing TBV Bulletin. And I think my temps stay high from 180-190. So I'm going to delete it with the shift kit today.

175 degrees is ideal but 180ish is fine also (190 max). That said, if you havent flupped the pill or installed a Superior Tech delete kit or an updated housing from GM, I definitely agree with doing so. which one is up to up to you but i'd flip the pill first as it doesnt cost you anything. Just need a set of snap ring pliers and maybe a vise witg soft jaws to hold it as sometimes the snap ring and/or end cap can be stubborn.

OP
OP
NiamLeeSin

NiamLeeSin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
175 degrees is ideal but 180ish is fine also (190 max). That said, if you havent flupped the pill or installed a Superior Tech delete kit or an updated housing from GM, I definitely agree with doing so. which one is up to up to you but i'd flip the pill first as it doesnt cost you anything. Just need a set of snap ring pliers and maybe a vise witg soft jaws to hold it as sometimes the snap ring and/or end cap can be stubborn.
I got the superior tech delete kit. Just now had to put it all back together to drive to harbor freight and get the snap ring pliers for that.

What I keep referring to as the TBV bulletin was done with the updated part from the dealer (updated GM housing?) And it didn't seem to help. The packing slip had the correct part number but there is no part number on the part itself, so I'm wondering if it's actually the updated part. Anyway, that didn't seem to help.

I also got a vacuum hand pump to pull the fluid from the pan to install my B&M deep aluminum pan. I'll do that next week.

Last edited:

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got the superior tech delete kit. Just now had to put it all back together to drive to harbor freight and get the snap ring pliers for that.

What I keep referring to as the TBV bulletin was done with the updated part from the dealer (updated GM housing?) And it didn't seem to help. The packing slip had the correct part number but there is no part number on the part itself, so I'm wondering if it's actually the updated part. Anyway, that didn't seem to help.

I also got a vacuum hand pump to pull the fluid from the pan to install my B&M deep aluminum pan. I'll do that next week.
That updated part may or may not be defective but if your temps are in the range you mentioned previously, im inclined to think its working. You're not going to see temps below the rating of the thermostat and you wont see anything in the 150-160 range in Jun-Sep unless you add on a big aftermarket trans cooler and plum the lines through the radiator then out to the big trans cooler plus the B&M pan.

Sounds like your're making good progress...

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont mess with the updated cooler bypass, just take yours and put the Superior stl010 in and it will do the trick, I did the GM Tsb bypass and it sucked, didn't hardly do anything for me still was running high 180s to 190s.

Did the Superior and it worked like a charm. 150s to the 170s in 90 degree temps. Mine is a max trailering 3.42 rig.

If the trans is good, a good TC upgrade will serve you well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeyMoSteel