2017 Yukon XL towing heavy duty caliper upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tmurray4192

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was wondering if there is a "upgrade" for my 2017 yukon xl calipers? I tow my landscape trail (made in the late 70's built with 1/4" angle iron, beast of a trailer) and my 25' boat (7500lbs with trailer). Boat trailer as hydraulic assist brakes (weight of the boat pushing forward pushes a hydraulic piston, not sure what they call this) and landscape trailer has nothing. I have found solutions like "Powerstop z36 truck & tow brake upgrade kit review" and found threads that explain using a newer GM/Chevy caliper which are bigger than the older ones. As of this posting, I have not checked my vacuum pump system for defects or leaks. Yukon stops well enough with out towing. However, when towing I would like to "feel" more stopping power. Current brake hardware is from AutoZone. calipers are original, premium ceramic pads and heavy duty solid rotors.

GranPrix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2019+ Silverado calipers and rotor or the new PPV calipers and rotors with a wheel no less than 20".

I'm actually in the middle of getting the Silverado calipers and rotors on my 17 Tahoe. Getting painted as I type this

OP
OP
tmurray4192

tmurray4192

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2019+ Silverado calipers and rotor or the new PPV calipers and rotors with a wheel no less than 20".

I'm actually in the middle of getting the Silverado calipers and rotors on my 17 Tahoe. Getting painted as I type this
rgr, thanks for replying. another question, so the suv's computer will work with the silverado brake hardware. referring to antilock.... i will have to research the silverado upgrade and or PPV....

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if there is a "upgrade" for my 2017 yukon xl calipers? I tow my landscape trail (made in the late 70's built with 1/4" angle iron, beast of a trailer) and my 25' boat (7500lbs with trailer). Boat trailer as hydraulic assist brakes (weight of the boat pushing forward pushes a hydraulic piston, not sure what they call this) and landscape trailer has nothing.
Surge brakes. Put brakes on your trailer.

Or sell both trailers and get some modern ones that will work with a trailer brake controller.

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rgr, thanks for replying. another question, so the suv's computer will work with the silverado brake hardware. referring to antilock.... i will have to research the silverado upgrade and or PPV....
The computer/ABS WON'T be affected by a change in caliper.

If you want a better upgrade over the Silverado or PPV calipers, I recommend the Wilwoods. They grab like nothing I've ever tried before. Even my sister's Esky with the GM Brembo upgrades doesn't stop like my truck. If you go that route just be sure to get the dyno-bedded rotors and pads. But as @GranPrix stated, you need 20" wheels or bigger.

Padraig

Reaction score
Surge brakes are horrible. Switch the trailer brakes fron surge to EOH, electric over hydraulic. Not a difficult job.

Padraig

Vipverbob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just did the PPV fronts on my 2018 RST. AWESOME Upgrade. Simple, and inexpensive. Big difference towing even with 4 wheel trailer brakes.

Attachments

• facebook_1679146258928_7042849870407047819(1).jpg
    facebook_1679146258928_7042849870407047819(1).jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 27

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
All GM PPV vehicles went to blacked out 6 piston brembo front brakes in 21 or 22. That’ll keep the pricing down on them. They are the best bang for the buck vs Brembo’s former specialty kit for GM trucks that was $2k per corner.

I haven’t installed the 6pot Brembo’s on our 09 Esky yet. There’s reportedly issues with thermal build up on the 16” rotors. I’ll likely have the rotors x drilled, countersunk, slotted & CAD plated.

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Surge brakes are horrible. Switch the trailer brakes fron surge to EOH, electric over hydraulic. Not a difficult job.

Padraig
I see folks say this sometimes, but really surge brakes work well for what they are. They don't require an onboard electrical system, they are load adjusting, and they are low maintenance. It's more about the driver and their competency towing than it is about the system. As opposed to an EOH system adding more points of failure, especially in something like a private use trailer that will almost always see little if any maintenance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan