2017 Tahoe vs Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grew up with many Suburbans us 3 boys hitting each other but loads of space for camping, dogs and sports gear.

Now 06 Tahoe without 3rd row seats (kind of my pavement princess school runner) in place and 13 Suburban with buckets and 3rd row up and down depending on extra friends riding along. 2 kids they love the space and separate seats.

It is the wife's daily driver, tons of room for road trips and to stretch out.

She wanted a small SUV but is very happy with the extra room and has eased into the parking very well.

The long body is a total win in my book with kids, dogs, grandparents and road trips without a second thought. Just my .02.

OP
OP
G

Glocksub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: took a new 2017 suburban LS with trailering pkg/3.42 rear end and 20in factory wheels on a 30 mile test drive today, even mix of hwy and city driving.

I kept it at 70-75mph on the highway to see if I could sense any buffeting or vibrations, radio off the entire time. The first 15 miles I did notice a small amount of buffeting (faint, as if one window was rolled down), it started to be noticeable above 45mph to me, but was not bad enough even up to 75 that the radio wouldn't have compensated for it. Interesting to note that with temps in the 30's today, all 4 tires were at 40psi when I got in it.

2nd half of the drive I aired the tires down to 36psi. Same roads and speeds and the buffeting was not gone but was noticeably less.

The truck rode smooth as glass with zero vibrations or rattles of any kind. There is truth to what others have said about these issues being more prevalent to some and not so to others. If I hadn't read about this issue, I'm not sure I would've noticed it today. It was not a very pronounced sound/sensation/pressure to me personally.

Last edited:

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it all depends on personal preference and needs. With four kids and heavy into sports, there's no way we could deal with a top carrier when travelling to games and wknd trips. A handful of family trips a year, sure, but loading a carrier all the time would get old quick. I went that route as long as I could with our last Tahoe and Traverse before biting the bullet and going with the XL/Burb.

Tony

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: took a new 2017 suburban LS with trailering pkg/3.42 rear end and 20in factory wheels on a 30 mile test drive today, even mix of hwy and city driving.

I kept it at 70-75mph on the highway to see if I could sense any buffeting or vibrations, radio off the entire time. The first 15 miles I did notice a small amount of buffeting (faint, as if one window was rolled down), it started to be noticeable above 45mph to me, but was not bad enough even up to 75 that the radio wouldn't have compensated for it. Interesting to note that with temps in the 30's today, all 4 tires were at 40psi when I got in it.

2nd half of the drive I aired the tires down to 36psi. Same roads and speeds and the buffeting was not gone but was noticeably less.

The truck rode smooth as glass with zero vibrations or rattles of any kind. There is truth to what others have said about these issues being more prevalent to some and not so to others. If I hadn't read about this issue, I'm not sure I would've noticed it today. It was not a very pronounced sound/sensation/pressure to me personally.

If it was windy out, you got to remember that these suv's aren't all that aerodynamic, so what you might hear or feel on a very windy day on the freeway, you might not hear or feel on a day when the wind is calm... I noticed that on a recent 13 hr road trip from ny to Wisconsin,., When i was going over a mountain, i felt shaking and noise at high speeds, then when I was in calm wind it was smooth and relatively quiet..

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it all depends on personal preference and needs. With four kids and heavy into sports, there's no way we could deal with a top carrier when travelling to games and wknd trips. A handful of family trips a year, sure, but loading a carrier all the time would get old quick. I went that route as long as I could with our last Tahoe and Traverse before biting the bullet and going with the XL/Burb.

......and it doesnt fit in the garage..

OP
OP
G

Glocksub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tony-good point on the wind issue. It was windier than normal here today, off and on. I suspect with no wind I may have noticed little to nothing in the suburban.

Someone mentioned fitting vehicles in their garages with the roof top carriers...part of the reason for my drive today was to see how tight the Sub would be in my garage. You can walk in front of it when the door has clearance to close in the rear, but not by a lot. It's not ideal.

I'm going to have to re-look at the Tahoe I believe. After parking my trucks outside for years, it's become an unnecessary hassle these days with a child. The next vehicle will be garaged.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bearfacemoon2212