2017 Tahoe vs Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in a similar boat. In as much as I can't decide between a Tahoe or suburban. It usually just wife, me and the dog. He goes everywhere with us. The burb offers a smoother ride and more space but is a little more difficult to Manuever around. I take mine hunting with my dad and if we got 2 deer, the Tahoe would be pretty full. I too wish the 3rd row was optional. While the burb accommodates my large dog box with room to spare the Tahoe does not. The box scrapes the top of the rear hatch when going in and out and makes it to the very end of the rear.

While the burb is 20" longer than the Tahoe, it is only 8" longer than a ford crown Victoria.

Vinvin7716

Reaction score
Had this dilemma. Went with the Tahoe. Both priced the same. Burb wouldn't fit in the garage. Wife saw it and said no no no... too big she would never be able to park it in tight places. She won. :(

Otherwise burb all the way if those other things weren't in the way.

OP
OP
G

Glocksub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had this dilemma. Went with the Tahoe. Both priced the same. Burb wouldn't fit in the garage. Wife saw it and said no no no... too big she would never be able to park it in tight places. She won. :(

Otherwise burb all the way if those other things weren't in the way.

I'm with you on that, but fortunately my wife won't be driving this one, she has a traverse that she likes a lot.

As tight a fit as the Sub is in my garage, I can see it inevitably getting scratched and scuffed on the front end from the wife and child squeezing in between it and the wall every day, with whatever bags they're always taking to and from the house....not good.

Dlayne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As others have mentioned a lot personal preference, but does one ever regret having more room? Also, we tow quite a bit and the longer wheel base is much better for emergency stops (deer jumping in front of you at 65 with a boat out back).

I have had my 2017 Yukon XL Denali for a little over a month now and 2500 miles on it. Came with the 22" wheels and I have had the 20" wheels from my '07 DXL with snow tires on for a bit too. With 22's and cruise set at 88mph, as quite and smooth as can be. At any speed actually. I have not experienced any buffeting what so ever. The main difference is small bumps and expansion joints around town. The 22's are a little bumpier but that is a product of the 45 profile tire.

Yes, the folding third row takes up some height as opposed to previous the body style, but seating for four adults, an 85lb Samoyed in a kennel in back and ski gear for all, would be tough in a Tahoe. Like someone mentioned, compared to a crew cab 8ft bed truck, these are a breeze to park once you get used to it. Although, I could swear this new body style has a bigger turning radius than the previous ones. Could be the front leveling kit too.

Good luck. Both are great vehicles.

PS. Scratches on the front end are no problem with 3M or similar applied, but yes more $$$.

04ctd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe swap sides of the garage so the wife won't have to walk past the Burb?

I think you know you need a Burb, just not admitted it to yourself.

I got TIRED of taking the 3rd row in & out of our NNBS to have room

OP
OP
G

Glocksub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe swap sides of the garage so the wife won't have to walk past the Burb?

I think you know you need a Burb, just not admitted it to yourself.

I got TIRED of taking the 3rd row in & out of our NNBS to have room

Actually, putting it on the far side was my intention, however our water heater location on that side prevents me from getting a sub in far enough to close the garage door. That leaves the home entry side as my only option.

There's no question I'd be happier with a suburban..... the looks, ride and cargo room alone win that contest. But if the logistics of the garage parking don't work, they don't work.

I was planning on having the xpel/3m film applied to the bumper regardless of which model I chose. May have to add film to the lights, grill surround and hood if it ends up being a suburban. Some added protection from those walking in front of it in my garage.....that could make it more plausible.

Dlayne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the film works great. I have the entire front end, 16" up the hood, mirrors, front of each fender, and the entire length of the rocker panel under the trim, door sill plates, rear bumper by tail gate. Did it to my last three the replaced as it wore and got top dollar when I sold it and it always looked good. Might be overkill, but 6 months out of the year we have cinders all over the roads that ODOT puts on the snow.

Hard to over come garage logistics though.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SWB look much better than the LWB but there's no question the extra space is sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

Glocksub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the film works great. I have the entire front end, 16" up the hood, mirrors, front of each fender, and the entire length of the rocker panel under the trim, door sill plates, rear bumper by tail gate. Did it to my last three the replaced as it wore and got top dollar when I sold it and it always looked good. Might be overkill, but 6 months out of the year we have cinders all over the roads that ODOT puts on the snow.

Hard to over come garage logistics though.

Yes the garage issue has me unsure of the best move here.

As for the film-I've never had it on one of our vehicles, and have seen many cars here in the south with it applied. I've also seen many tahoes/escalades where the film wasn't applied to the front bumper and it looks rough after a year or two. The bugs here and road debris don't do them any favors on highway trips. I'm used to trucks with chrome bumpers that make cleaning and scratches a non-issue by comparison to these painted plastic ones on the GM suv's. I also like your idea of applying it to the rear bumper. Seems like an easy place to scratch and scuff when you're loading and unloading.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the garage issue has me unsure of the best move here.

As for the film-I've never had it on one of our vehicles, and have seen many cars here in the south with it applied. I've also seen many tahoes/escalades where the film wasn't applied to the front bumper and it looks rough after a year or two. The bugs here and road debris don't do them any favors on highway trips. I'm used to trucks with chrome bumpers that make cleaning and scratches a non-issue by comparison to these painted plastic ones on the GM suv's. I also like your idea of applying it to the rear bumper. Seems like an easy place to scratch and scuff when you're loading and unloading.

Xpel ultimate is insane. After a full spring, summer and winter (in the muddy, snowy, freezing, hot, rainy NE) I can say flatly, it works and has incredible 'self healing' abilities.

I had my entire hood wrapped, entire rear gate and lower door panels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiteHorseBFD792