2017 Tahoe rear passenger door won't open from inside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craddock

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've got a 2017 Tahoe that we've had for about 4 years. Bought it used for my wife when she had our second child. Now our first is old enough to be in school and the way the drop off line is setup, she has to exit from the passenger side.

An issue it has is that the rear passenger door won't open from the inside. Opens fine from the outside. Doesn't matter what setting the child lock feature is set on.

So while exploring the issue, I've done or noticed the following:

The door handle on the inside pull out far enough to activate the latch regardless of child lock setting.

When the child lock is locked, it's fine with no issues. When it's unlocked, the child lock button flashes.

I took the door panel off and there's nothing that appears off or wrong.

Even with the door panel off and the handle disconnected from the cable, the cable still won't pull enough to activate the latch.

So am I looking at maybe a bad latch mechanism? Any suggestions to try for something else? I'm not bad at working on cars so I'm up to try other options.

Thanks I'm advance for any advice or help.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a 2017 Tahoe that we've had for about 4 years. Bought it used for my wife when she had our second child. Now our first is old enough to be in school and the way the drop off line is setup, she has to exit from the passenger side.

An issue it has is that the rear passenger door won't open from the inside. Opens fine from the outside. Doesn't matter what setting the child lock feature is set on.

So while exploring the issue, I've done or noticed the following:

The door handle on the inside pull out far enough to activate the latch regardless of child lock setting.

When the child lock is locked, it's fine with no issues. When it's unlocked, the child lock button flashes.

I took the door panel off and there's nothing that appears off or wrong.

Even with the door panel off and the handle disconnected from the cable, the cable still won't pull enough to activate the latch.

So am I looking at maybe a bad latch mechanism? Any suggestions to try for something else? I'm not bad at working on cars so I'm up to try other options.

Thanks I'm advance for any advice or help.
sounds like maybe the cable got stretched somehow, either that or maybe there is a crack in the mechanism that is not visible that has left enough play for it to not operate properly

OP
OP
C

Craddock

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
With the cable completely disconnected from the inside door handle it acts the same as if it was connected. Could it be stretched inside the latch mechanism?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667