2011 Tahoe/Bad engine ticking, 153k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
N

NotQuiteanSS

Reaction score
OK, now I understand, that makes more sense.

$4K for a top end seems really high (even including a new cam and sundry stuff to get the AFM delete). If the cam is fine (seems many times they are with just a collapsed AFM lifter), I would expect to pay a good shop about $2-$2.5K (depending on prevailing labor rates) for all new OE lifters, VLOM, freshen the heads, all required gaskets, etc.

Losing AFM seems to be about .5MPG penalty, at least that is what mine is with just AFM turned off. Many here report better than stock mileage when doing the mechanical delete and using a tune from somebody like Black Bear.

Interesting, Deleting the AFM / DOD sounds like the route to go, and I sure could use a tune. (That vararam sucks a ton of air). Just wish it was not my daily... so I could do it myself and learn.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting, Deleting the AFM / DOD sounds like the route to go, and I sure could use a tune. (That vararam sucks a ton of air). Just wish it was not my daily... so I could do it myself and learn.

I really think doing the mechanical delete and tune is the ultimate solution. I was talking to a regional manager of one of the companies that do volume remans for fleet operators and they offer an AFM deleted version of the 5.3L. He said they recommend that option for any 5.3L reman swaps.

It likely would be a lot cheaper to rent a car for the time you were working on it and do it yourself if you are handy. There are a lot of people on these threads that have gone through it and can offer expert advice on every element of the process.

OP
OP
N

NotQuiteanSS

Reaction score
I really think doing the mechanical delete and tune is the ultimate solution. I was talking to a regional manager of one of the companies that do volume remans for fleet operators and they offer an AFM deleted version of the 5.3L. He said they recommend that option for any 5.3L reman swaps.

It likely would be a lot cheaper to rent a car for the time you were working on it and do it yourself if you are handy. There are a lot of people on these threads that have gone through it and can offer expert advice on every element of the process.

Only thing that really worries me are the dang exhaust manifold bolts.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only thing that really worries me are the dang exhaust manifold bolts.

Funny how we all have the things that bug us. Mine is dropping the pan...

On the exhaust manifold bolts, just use all the normal tricks and when one breaks off, just have the shop extract it when they freshen the heads. :)

PS - The last time I priced out a full DIY delete, with everything I would do (top quality components, new oil pump, etc.), it came in at like $1200.

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At only 153K miles, that thing has LOTS of life left if it has been maintained. I've been beating on mine since 147K and did an AFM delete at 200K with small performance mods and am now beating on it more. I didn't replace any bearings or even disassemble the short block when I did mine. Oil pressure is great, it makes no odd noises, averages the same or better MPG than when it had AFM and oil consumption appears to have been drastically improved (although it was never bad to begin with).

I'm with Bill- the parts list ends up around $1,200. The only question is if there's any deeper damage than the lifters and cam, and you won't know until you're that deep inside it. I'd pop off the head and check the lifter bore for damage and check the oil for glitter. If that checks out, then you should be good for just a delete. You may find another shop, maybe even a performance shop more familiar with this sort of thing that would knock it out for you quickly and for less than that $4,000 quote. I understand the peace of mind in having a whole new engine with a warranty. But, 153K miles on a maintained LS engine isn't anything to be concerned with. Judging by how clean it looked under your rocker covers, I'd say it has been maintained well. Also, you prefacing your story with "I had to get on her to avoid an accident, nothing to bad 3/4 throttle..." tells me that you don't routinely smash the throttle at every drive, essentially babying your car.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All good advice here. Especially about making sure you don’t end up with DOD. Plenty of people just do a complete DOD delete since it’s the safest and since you’re right there now it’s the time to do it, either with that block or another one. Just don’t have them build the motor with DOD hardware.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA