2011 Tahoe/Bad engine ticking, 153k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NotQuiteanSS

Reaction score
So I had to get on her to avoid an accident, nothing to bad 3/4 throttle and powered away from it. During acceleration I heard a loud pop, drove the mile or so home and heard a loud ticking sound, in the drive way.

It sounds like something knocking around in the passengers valve cover. And yup it is ticking along with the rpms. No codes, no leaks, no smoke.

Thinking a rocker arm stud is now toast. Just a guess.

Any insight? What am I possibly getting into?

Don't wanna run it / even start unless I absolutely have to.

JasonHTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I had to get on her to avoid an accident, nothing to bad 3/4 throttle and powered away from it. During acceleration I heard a loud pop, drove the mile or so home and heard a loud ticking sound, in the drive way.

It sounds like something knocking around in the passengers valve cover. And yup it is ticking along with the rpms. No codes, no leaks, no smoke.

Year/Make/Model/Engine??

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

From your previous posts you belong in this section.

Would be a good idea to put what year it is.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I would pop the valve cover off and see if there is a loose rocker, broken spring, etc.

If everything looks nice and tight, maybe have someone turn it over and watch the valve train for issues. If it starts, no big deal (it can run on just 4), just don’t run it for a long time so it starts making a mess.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It doesn't take much time or effort to pop off a rocker cover and take a look. Is it running any differently other than the sound? If not, and with no SES light, maybe you just sprung an exhaust leak.

OP
OP
N

NotQuiteanSS

Reaction score

It's a 2011

ercbrooks

Reaction score
I’d say a lifter went......probably making contact with the camshaft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull the valve cover and inspect, also look for broken exhaust manifold bolts on that side that might indicate an exhaust leak and worst case scenario collapsed lifter. Hoping for the best.