Engine ticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

triker97

Reaction score
So I'm not sure if anyone who reads this has seen my other post, but I got the front end suspension changed and aligned, but now I have a ticking from the engine. I know the only way to know for sure is to tear her apart, I'm hoping it's the rocker arms or a lifter, it won't let me upload a video, maybe it's too long. But she is a 06 Yukon XL with 226k, Im planning on replacing the lifters, rocker arms and push rods anyway, but is there anything else that could be replaced or is going to need to replaced soon? All of the pulleys except the harmonic balancer (that project is coming soon, along with front main seal) the water pump and front end suspension have all been replaced

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Upload video to YouTube and post it here - you can even leave the video "unlisted". That might help the excellent folks here help provide some things to think about. And get a mechanic's stethoscope on it - need more info on what/where.

I'd almost bet exhaust leak from a(many) broken manifold bolts...

OP
OP
T

triker97

Reaction score
Upload video to YouTube and post it here - you can even leave the video "unlisted". That might help the excellent folks here help provide some things to think about. And get a mechanic's stethoscope on it - need more info on what/where.

I'd almost bet exhaust leak from a(many) broken manifold bolts...
Alright got the video uploaded right here

Thank you for telling me how to get it up here

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Alright got the video uploaded right here

Thank you for telling me how to get it up here
Based on the video, IMO, you need a mechanic's stethoscope to pinpoint the location but that does sound like a metallic click noise that would require an under valve cover inspection. Lifter or rocker arm noise, I would guess. What is the oil pressure? Getting the valve cover off is not that big a deal, really. I just did it on a 2006 Yukon Denali XL 6.0.

OP
OP
T

triker97

Reaction score
Based on the video, IMO, you need a mechanic's stethoscope to pinpoint the location but that does sound like a metallic click noise that would require an under valve cover inspection. Lifter or rocker arm noise, I would guess. What is the oil pressure? Getting the valve cover off is not that big a deal, really. I just did it on a 2006 Yukon Denali XL 6.0.
Oil pressure and level is reading good, I can double check in a few hours just to be sure, I was thinking of getting one too just so I can pinpoint it better

OP
OP
T

triker97

Reaction score
When I do take the valve covers off, Im gunna get some new valve cover gaskets just in case but are there any other gaskets or seals, or anything else I should get just in case once I open her up?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If is the 6.0 engine or the 5.3 engine, they take the same set. I recommend Fel-Pro and this set includes the grommets for the valve cover:

When you take the covers off, make sure to clean the PCV port thoroughly or just replace with new. The new ones I bought at AutoZone came with new seals and grommets. My old ones were severely gunked up and causing pressure problems and therefore oil leaks at the valve covers. The coil racks come off first and the passenger side rear rack hold down stud is way easier to take off if you go ahead and remove the two bolts holding the rear coil in place and remove the coil. Here is what the two covers looked like that I replaced:

20231112_112429.jpg

Here is the after:

20231112_103427.jpg20231112_111230.jpg

OP
OP
T

triker97

Reaction score
I have the 5.3, I know I do have some broken bolts on the exhaust manifold I need to take care of.
I will definitely get a kit like that, besides rocker arm play is there anything that I should look out for? Weather it's play or worn parts in a certain area

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My LQ4 also has an intermittent tick that is from the valve cover area, so I'm pretty sure I will also be looking at doing this job over the holidays too.

I would recommend you remove and inspect your camshaft for any wear. I believe the tick you hear is actually the pushrod hitting the rockers due to excessive lash. But there's cases where the roller wheel on the lifter gouges the cam lobes.

I recently bought a camshaft from summit Racing for another engine build and the box has a warning saying you also have to replace the lifters when you replace the cam. Otherwise you may get shortened life or cam lobe damage. I'm guessing that's for the guys only trying to do a "cam swap."

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

triker97

Reaction score
I don't doubt that inspecting the cam would be best, but I don't have the time to take it out or the money to take it to a shop. I would love to do a cam swap but I want to make sure I put the correct rocker arms lifters and push rods

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz