Yukon is now undriveable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

udlooz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I could use some help. My Yukon is having a panic attack. Back around Christmas, driving home, the traction active message kept coming on and cutting the engine power anytime we got over 60MPH. Also, the MPH on the speedo would jump from 50 to 80 and bounce around.

Figured it was a wheel sensor and doused both sensors with WD40, problem went away for a few hundred miles.

Today after driving about 70-80 miles, it started doing the same thing, now I couldn't get above 30MPH. From a dead stop, the speedo bounces, cuts power, traction active message, T/C light, Brake and ABS lights all come on.

When trying to limp it home, the service brake system message came up and a continuous chime until I killed the truck and restarted.

I tried unplugging the drivers side wheel sensor and driving, same problem. Plugged driver side back in and unplugged passenger, same problem.

Since I can't get it over 20MPH and even that speed is nearly impossible to maintain, I just had to park it until I can fix it to limp home.

Does this sound like a wheel speed sensor or something more nefarious? The only code scanner I have is an Autel Autolink AL301 which I don't think will read ABS codes.

Both wheel hubs were replaced last year, and I had the EBCM repaired by a guy on eBay a few months ago.

Is there any way to disable this system to get it home? Truck is a 2003 Yukon SLT 2WD

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I don't see how a wheel speed sensor would cause the lack of power?

Fuel pressure? Have you had a power tune done to the rig? Any engine related codes? I did see where a guy had a power tune done to his rig and was all ok for awhile and then all of a sudden he had the tune set back to stock and all problems went away and I am talking about traction warnings and everything.

OP
OP
U

udlooz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was thinking maybe the traction control system was cutting the power. It idles and revs fine it just doesn't like moving. Also, when I start it up, ABS is the only MIL that is lit but goes off after a bit until I start driving again and it freaks out

OP
OP
U

udlooz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OK I went to get it and am pretty sure its an electrical issue. Started up and drove fine for 4 miles. Then the speedo started bouncing with no other issues, until I stopped at a light, then it started stalling with all of the lights and dinging - which progressively got worse with the engine dying and triggered a fuel pump circuit code in the PCM which of course cleared after I got it running fine again. For a few minutes, then the same issues again. So which harness or ground would cause fuel pump, VSS, ABS and traction control issues all at once? Looks like I have a busy day tomorrow finding the gremlins...

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sound like a speed sensor on the transmission, a bad one will mess up anything needing a good MPH signal.

OP
OP
U

udlooz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Found the problem, tiny little ground wire - I documented my fix in a video to hopefully help others in the future

[yt]lETfny-Xy4c[/yt]

Last edited by a moderator:

Pachanga02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice I'll have to check mine just to be sure it's not fried.

Dinky26

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah, the smallest faulty ground will decommission any vehicle,

Mr. 960

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found the problem, tiny little ground wire - I documented my fix in a video to hopefully help others in the future

[yt]lETfny-Xy4c[/yt]

thanks for taking the time to upload this!!! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20

Latest posts