Yukon Denali info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DirtyBlackHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am seriously looking at buying a 2004 Denali and i am just wondering about some feedback from anyone that has owned one or driven one. Are there that many more issues due to the AWD system and the 6.0? Is the power a big difference? I just don't want to buy one and it be a maintenance nightmare and get 14mpg on the highway. I understand it won't get amazing mpg, but just wondering what real world results and reviews are from people that have experience with them. Thank you.

M3PO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2006 Denali with 102,000, but I have only owned if for about 25k miles, with zero issues.
Yes, the 6.0 has considerably more power than the 4.8s and the 5.3s, I owned a 2002 Z71 with the 5.3.
MPG is another story, if you can't handle 14 than steer clear. 50/50 city/highway, I usually get 14-15. All city in cold weather, with short trips, I can get as little as 10-12. I have got as good as 16.8 all highway reasonable speeds. Now if you plan to tow, the bigger engine can help on MPG's, I can get 15-15.5 on the highway towing a small trailer, 4 wheeler, camping BS, and two large dogs :) My Z71 loaded similar with a trailer and sport bikes would get 11-13.
Just my rigs though, everyone's is different.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Mine's a 2003. I haven't had any engine or tranny issues, but a few oil leaks, new fuel pump, shocks, brakes...nothing any car that age wouldn't be expected to need, though.
Check the maintenance record on any rig you look at. Especially watch for a fuel pump (if not already replaced they are pretty much gauranteed to die eventually), shocks (air ride system can be expensive to replace, so see if has been recently updated with new shocks and/or compressor or had the air-ride deleted altogether already; if not, expect that it will need to be fixed/replaced fairly soon), and check the tranny for issues.

As for mileage, I get about 13 combined in the winter, with a lot of auto-start idling to warm up. Summer I get close to 15 combined, and typically hit 17-18mpg on highway drives if I'm babying the throttle. Any big hills, head-winds, or a lot of slowing down/speeding up traffic can greatly skew the mileage, though. I've driven into a strong headwind that brought me down to 8-9mpg. These things aren't exactly slicing through the air....lol.

CEN2MENTAL95

Banned
Reaction score
I don't have a Denali but my hoe has the same suspension ( dubbed autoride) and I can tell you it's a damn expensive suspension to replace. Check out arnott industries bilstein replacements. Worth every penny

ATL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have an 03 denali, trans crapped out on me around 95k-100k miles. few other issues ive had have been driver window regulator, autoride went out, fuel pump went out, ac compressor went out, speedometer locked up, pittman and idler arm had to be replaced.

but thank god its an american vehicle, every one of these issues(except the trans and speedo) was fixed in my driveway; and all the work has been fairly simple.

OP
OP
DirtyBlackHoe

DirtyBlackHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks a ton guys...here are some pictures of the one I am looking at...the color looks off but the seller said it is the pictures and it matches in person...and if anything it is slightly off due to dirtiness and sunfade?

Here are pictures of the Denali...only concern it is 5 hours away and the bottom half looks like a difference color to me...might be sunfade or just the diff in metal and plastic in pictures.

IMG_0300.gif
IMG_6651.gif
IMG_6123.gif
IMG_4144.gif
IMG_3771.gif
IMG_1823.gif
IMG_1086.gif

nmsyukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before i read your post i thought to myself, "every plastic piece on it looks darker." I would want to get some better pictures before i made that trip.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Yeah, honestly my first thought just looking at the pics was they converted a Yukon to look like a Denali. Run the VIN here and check the model to make sure he's not screwing with you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DirtyBlackHoe

DirtyBlackHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The vin is for a 2004 Denali so it is a real one...I also checked carfax and it has had no wrecks or accidents..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove