Yukon Denali Duramax - Is it slow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rizop

Reaction score
Good info. My wife has a 2020 GX and I wouldn’t want my Denali to be slower. Considering switching my order to a 6.2, especially since diesel here in central NC is $1.75ish more per gallon vs premium.
Yes , it definitely feels a little slower to accelerate from a standstill than the 4.6 in the GX . Once it gets to approximately 40 mph, the 3.0 has the upper hand and it accelerates effortlessly. The GX has a good amount of torque but at 40 plus mph the 3.0’s torque advantage is apparent

Honestly I was worried about the lifters in the 6.2, so I chose the 3.0 to hopefully minimize the chances of my family being stranded

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Yeah, after reading about the update I had to see it for myself and report back for anyone shopping around. You'll know now for when the time comes to trade yours! Only reason I'm switching my pickup around so much is that I've bought right and breaking even on the trades. However, the market is softening so this next one I get I'll be sticking with for a long time.

If I remember correctly they reinforced the pistons, addressed the part that was causing the long crank issues, and did some updates to the belt to where the maintenance is now at 200k instead of 150k miles. Probably some other things in there I can't remember.
The Pistons in the lm2 are aluminium (these pistons probably cost more as they are also hypereutectic). The pistons in the lz0 are steel. The 'part' that was causing the long crank was on early lm2s. It was a supplier defect in the reluctor ring so it couldn't read properly. The affected units were fixed and the new lm2s from then on didn't have the problem. The lz0 still uses the wet belt design for the oil pump. The lz0 also has more emmisions stuff like a second def injector. The changes from lm2 to lz0 more likely had to do with tightening emmisions rather then any design issues.

It's really not a redesigned engine as much as it is just some life cycle changes and to meet current standards.

Rizop

Reaction score
The Pistons in the lm2 are aluminium (these pistons probably cost more as they are also hypereutectic). The pistons in the lz0 are steel. The 'part' that was causing the long crank was on early lm2s. It was a supplier defect in the reluctor ring so it couldn't read properly. The affected units were fixed and the new lm2s from then on didn't have the problem. The lz0 still uses the wet belt design for the oil pump. The lz0 also has more emmisions stuff like a second def injector. The changes from lm2 to lz0 more likely had to do with tightening emmisions rather then any design issues.

It's really not a redesigned engine as much as it is just some life cycle changes and to meet current standards.
That was a great and really enlightening read . It’s also great that they used this opportunity to give it a hp boost . The Lm2 I’ve had for 6 months is fantastic and its encouraging that they’re already evolving the design

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, the belt that was 150K in the LM2 is the same belt touted for 200K in the LZ0. The early estimates for the LM2 belt were very conservative. I'm surprised people are still bringing this up. A total non-issue for 98% of owners...

OP
OP
V

VAF84

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Also, the belt that was 150K in the LM2 is the same belt touted for 200K in the LZ0. The early estimates for the LM2 belt were very conservative. I'm surprised people are still bringing this up. A total non-issue for 98% of owners...
Agree with that. My dad was hung up on the belt issue when we purchased the 2021, kept him from looking at the 3.0L even though he like the mpg aspect. Didn't bother me and wasn't a consideration.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even the later lm2s have the interval moved to 200k I do believe.

It's crazy how some think it's a big deal when many vehicles have had timing belts and usually the consequence of it snapping is the engine grenading.

OBSSSD

Reaction score
Very little out there on the performance aspect of the Yukon with the Duramax. Seems no one wants to put it’s 0-60 times and such on paper. We have a 2019 Escalade with the 6.2, and it has plenty of grunt, I’m wondering if the smaller Duramax will feel like a dog when you get on it. I drive an F250 diesel, so I’m familiar with the feel, and mine is just fast enough, but I’d be worried about a 3L because of it’s size in comparison to the vehicle weight. It would have been awesome if GM installed the 6.6L Duramax, but I digress.

Anyway, for those of you who typically drive faster cars, does it feel lacking off the line, or overtaking on a two lane country road?
As a gauge my wife has 22' Escalade with 6.2 V8, she thinks it feels slow compared my XL with the LM2

OP
OP
V

VAF84

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As a gauge my wife has 22' Escalade with 6.2 V8, she thinks it feels slow compared my XL with the LM2

I agree with her assessment. When we were shopping, my wife was driving a 2019 Escalade. We drove both the diesel Yukon and the Escalade almost back to back and the new Escalade did not feel as quick as hers. I think it has a lot to do with weight, because the new one is heavier, but there was no improvement to the power output of the motor

Having said that, as luck would have it, I ended up with a 6.2 L GMC sierra and it’s definitely faster. So much so that now when my wife first borrowed it she has trouble taking off and chirped the tires when pulling out. It was actually kind of funny.

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
was their a baseball under the accelerator?

There is no comparison between a current 6.2 and a current diesel. We have both, they get driven side by side all the time, other than mileage the diesel doesn't do anything better then the 6.2 in the drivability department.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts