Yukon Denali Duramax - Is it slow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
V

VAF84

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I guess the other question is how many miles on the Escalade? I think there's reduced power during the break in period for the 6.2L. At first my new 6.2L pickup didn't feel very fast, then at some point in the first 1k miles there was a noticeable increase in power when I was driving around. Now it feels like a hot rod pickup. I actually have some fun zipping around in it. If I recall it was the same when I test drove the Duramax Yukon, followed by the 6.2L Escalade. I was surprised to feel the Escalade underpowered. Thinking back, maybe it just needed to get past the break-in period.

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't believe the L87 has any reduced perf elements during the break in period. I personally haven't noticed any perf difference on any of the 6.2's I've had.

The LT6 and LT2's have reduced redline during break in as well as the LT2 has a max torque reduction as well. For the LT's the break in is 500 miles.

Jellyfrosh

Reaction score
It doesn't feel like a 3.0L engine, I can tell you that much. You definitely notice at the top end though, anything above 65-70 or so. It still accelerates fine, but it's not a race car.

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2021 Tahoe with the 5.3 and a 2022 Suburban with the 3.0 diesel. The diesel Suburban hands down feels like it has more pep. The other plus is 29 MPG average vs the 19 MPG average from the tahoe doing 75 mph on the highway :) . The 6.2 has a ton more power off the line but these are giant SUVs not drag racers. If you like a sub 7 0-60 time and $4.00+ premium gas along with crappy MPGs get the 6.2. If you like a few second higher 0-60 time and massive low end torque at low RPMs get the diesel. Test drive both for the feel.

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
was their a baseball under the accelerator?

There is no comparison between a current 6.2 and a current diesel. We have both, they get driven side by side all the time, other than mileage the diesel doesn't do anything better then the 6.2 in the drivability department.
Mileage is a big deal when premium is well north of 4 bucks a gallon. Diesel is now close if not cheaper than regular unleaded. We made it from Bay City MI to Calhoun GA on one tank of diesel in our Suburban. I had the cruise set 72-74ish the whole trip with a 10-15 mph headwind. My 5.3 would have been in the 18.5 mpg range.

Attachments

• MI TO GA 2023.jpg
    MI TO GA 2023.jpg
    331.3 KB · Views: 9

GoNoGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, the Duramax Suburban does not feel underpowered -vs- the 6.2L Suburban, key words being "not underpowered" and I drive both.

Yes the 3.0L is a little slower to 65-mph when launching from a dead stop, or maybe passing but surprisingly my Duramax Suburban is more than sufficiently powered :thumbsup:

In fact I'm planning my next new Suburban to have a Duramax powertrain.

Last edited:

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mileage is a big deal when premium is well north of 4 bucks a gallon. Diesel is now close if not cheaper than regular unleaded. We made it from Bay City MI to Calhoun GA on one tank of diesel in our Suburban. I had the cruise set 72-74ish the whole trip with a 10-15 mph headwind. My 5.3 would have been in the 18.5 mpg range.
Totally agree,
Now that we have a winter on a baby dmax; I can't see up buying anymore 6.2's in the future.

GoNoGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 months ago here in NE Georgia, Diesel for my 3.0L Duamax was $5.40/24mpg=22.5cpm and Premium for my 6.2L was $4.20/16mpg=26cpm so only 3.5 cents per mile difference.

There's a smidgen of cost for the DEF fluid and according to GM, we're supposed to be buying their brand Diesel additive for our fuel tanks as well (most of us don't) and it's fairly costly.

In the winter, I "have" to idle the Duramax up for at least 10-15 minutes to begin warming the cabin, versus the gas burner only taking few minutes.. point being few extra ounces of fuel to achieve same results as 6.2L.

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 months ago here in NE Georgia, Diesel for my 3.0L Duamax was $5.40/24mpg=22.5cpm and Premium for my 6.2L was $4.20/16mpg=26cpm so only 3.5 cents per mile difference.

There's a smidgen of cost for the DEF fluid and according to GM, we're supposed to be buying their brand Diesel additive for our fuel tanks as well (most of us don't) and it's fairly costly.

In the winter, I "have" to idle the Duramax up for at least 10-15 minutes to begin warming the cabin, versus the gas burner only taking few minutes.. point being few extra ounces of fuel to achieve same results as 6.2L.
Here in ND, when it's say -30F; I don't notice a warm up difference between the 6.2 and the 3.0, and it doesn't take anywhere near 10 min to get heat in either.
I do notice that the 3.0 keeps warm longer between starts (like if you are running in and out of the truck, it retains temp longer it seems).

The dMax warms up quicker then the Ram ecoDiesel; and the dMax doesn't need a winter front which is nice.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LM2 warms up faster than any diesel I have owned, and most diesels don't "Warm up" by idling. You have to work them to generate heat. Want fast heat? Plug them in or give them 15-30 sec to normalize and get going.