Winter tires for '21 Tahoe 4wd?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TooManyKids

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2021 LT 4wd with 18" wheels on order. I'm in love with winter tires and live in Midwest.

I am looking into buying an extra set of wheels that have winter tires on them, which I switch out in the fall and spring. (I do this on a full-size Ford Transit we have.)

However, TireRack says they have no winter tire/wheel combos for this vehicle, and my dealer thinks I'm nuts for wanting winter tires on a 4wd. Has anyone done this?

I would be open to increasing size if necessary. Thanks for any ideas.

Cam

18Custom

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would suggest you go with Goodyear Duratracs. They handle 6" + deep snow with ease. I'm in Northwest Ontario so similar climate to the Midwest. I have the 265/65 R 18 size, same as stock but they measure 32.5", so a bit taller than the highway tires it came with.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would check around with a few dealers and see if they have any alloy or steel wheel takeoffs if they upgrade new incoming vehicles....
I put Blizzaks on my SUV every winter and they are reasonably unstoppable. Just put them on today as a matter of fact. ( Upper midwest...).

The difference between "all season" or "all weather" tires and these is remarkable. Main diff is on Black Ice. Winterized softer rubber compound and thousands of sipe cuts make the difference.... when you have a big dollar vehicle, these tires can easily be the difference between an accident or not....

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing can compete in the winter like dedicated winter tires. They start, stop and corner much better than even the best all season tires. I did a little test with my sons Chevy Cruze that had General Arctic snow tires on them. Even with front wheel drive he blew away our 4wd Pilot and our 4wd Cherokee. In fact the Cherokee had the top rated all season tires on it according to Consumer Reports. It all boils down to rubber compounds. The winter tires stay soft in cold temps while all season tires still get hard as a rock. I will be getting winter tires for our Tahoe in 2021. My buddy manages a tire shop and only charges 10 dollars per tire to swap out the tires. So for 80 bucks a year it makes no sense to purchase rims and TPMS. The only thing you have to watch our for if you run winter tires is be very careful running them on your vehicle with temps above 40 degrees. The compound is very soft above those temps and it will wear out the tire much faster and might cause cupping. On top of that cornering could be a white knuckle ride also. Get the winter tires. They are worth their weight in gold. Just be careful with folks tailgating. If you can stop well they most likely can't without snow tires and they will slam into you. Been their done that with idiots tailgating in the winter.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
I would suggest you go with Goodyear Duratracs. They handle 6" + deep snow with ease. I'm in Northwest Ontario so similar climate to the Midwest. I have the 265/65 R 18 size, same as stock but they measure 32.5", so a bit taller than the highway tires it came with.

The Goodyear Duratrac is exactly what I have on my 07Yukon with 17” wheels.

The ‘15 Yukon has Bridgestone Blizzaks on 22” wheels.

I chuckle to myself when going up all the steep hills in my city here in MN during snowstorms when I blow past everyone. :)

I recommend the Blizzaks as they hold snow in them better I believe. I used to run big lugged mud tires in the snow and didn’t understand why I had no traction. It’s because all the snow would fling out of the treads. Apparently you want snow stuck in the treads.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Did you try Discount Tire?

Customwheeloffset.com also has good selection.

Carid.com is also another option.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
I forgot about Nokian winter tires as well...they’re less expensive than the Blizzaks but apparently work well!

Swatdoc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I went with General Grabber AT tires, which are snow rated. 285/55R20's on Sierra Denali 20" replica wheelsIMG_1135.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu