Window Tint Info.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

12many

Reaction score
I thought this was interesting. I am one of those people who research things way too much before making a decision. Anyway, I am tinting my car and am deciding which tint to select. As part of my reading (you may already know this, but I did not) I learned that each window lists the amount of built-in tinting on the window in the lower corner of the window. What is kinda crazy is the listed tint value for each window. I listed them below.

Front - 70% min (meaning 70% or more of the light passes through)
Front Sides - 70% min
rear side door roll down - 20%
rear sides door (triangle) - 12% +/- 3%
back side panel - 22
Back window - 13% +/- 5%

Why they are all different, I don't know. It is difficult to notice.

So, when selecting tint, multiple they % of light passing through the tint times the % of factory 'tint' on the window (and then add a few percent it seems for reasons unknown) to get the actual light reduction. And, the key to tint for performance is not the visible light it filters out, but the heat reduction. I am going to try out 33% on the front sides and an 80% on the front window in ceramic tint. I will post pics when it is done in a week or so.

Anyway, thought I would share.

Would still love to see pics of Husky weatherbeater mats in Tan in a Dune interior !! : ) Thanks.

Last edited:

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 5% ceramic all the way around with 5% eyebrow. With a 1/2" foam reflector window shade. My Tahoe sits all day in direct sun and at 5pm I can hop in and it is not death. Also 5% window vents. Driving around it is super cool. I never feel like I am cooking in an oven.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember, factory glass is not "tinted" for UV rays, etc. It is privacy glass that has pigments in it, not a layer of "tint" so you still get all the heat inside the vehicle. that's why they make clear tint if you want to keep it completely clear/see through.

OP
OP

12many

Reaction score
Interesting. I saw this on another forum. I am just parroting it back.
There is the link.
http://www.f150online.com/forums/2009-2014-f-150/462980-does-factory-tinted-glass-protect-against-heat-uv-etc-2.html

I am going to get 80% Llumar air blue on my front window in any event for heat. I am in the desert so it gets crazy hot. Considering the same on the back two windows where my son sits, but I still want people be able to see out the window. It's not a hearse.

BTW, there are two types of UV rays that reach earth, and it is hard to get data on both. I think factory glass only blocks one. Also, IR (not in the visible light band) is responsible for much of the heat. My Dad is always getting skin cancer so I am aware of the consequences.

---------------
Wish I knew how to "rep" you on this forum. Anyway, per your suggestion, I contacted CarLite and here is their response:

Quote:

The privacy rear door windows and backlite on your F-150 would have the following solar performance:

Visible light transmittance: 18%
UV light transmittance: ~ 7% (i.e. 93% of all incident UV is blocked)
Total Solar rejection: 61% (total solar energy that is reflected and absorbed and re-radiated to the outside)

By contrast, the front door windows have the following:

Visible light transmittance: 72%
UV light transmittance: 36% (64% blocked)
Total Solar rejection: 40%

As you can see above, the privacy glass already does a good job of reducing the amount of heat and UV light coming in the vehicle versus the solar tint glass. You probably wouldn't get much improvement with the addition of a film on those windows. Be sure to check your state and local ordinances regarding addition of darkening films to your front door windows as some states don't allow it or limit it to a certain minimum light transmittance.
---------------

Last edited:

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you google "factory tint uv protection" most of those links are forums where people discuss it and go back and forth as well. There's also auto blog results that say some auto makers are and some aren't.

I learned and was always told it didn't. I was also told that by manufacturers of window tint while I was working at stereo/tint shops so they could be fibbing. If you look at your window sticker, most cars will say privacy glass and not uv protection glass

AZRiverRunner

Reaction score
I went with 3M Crystalline 90 on the windshield, Crystalline 40 on the other windows. The nano technology used in the Crystalline product cuts heat a lot more than other tints. Nobody can tell that the coating is on the windshield, the 90 is nearly clear.

gary645

Reaction score
Consider checking which tints are legal in your state - a good installer will give you a certificate verifying what they installed is legal - if it is legal in your state. Also consider the laws in other states if you travel there often.

Reaction score
Consider checking which tints are legal in your state - a good installer will give you a certificate verifying what they installed is legal - if it is legal in your state. Also consider the laws in other states if you travel there often.

States don't normally stop out of state passenger cars for equipment violations

I have 5% all the way around including the back windows.

acainindy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with the ceramic on the front two windows that matches the shade of the rear windows. I also went with the crystalline on the front w/s. What a great investment during the summer months.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork