Window regulators- OEM or aftermarket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I searched existing threads and found nothing directly comparing them.

Obviously, the CHEAP aftermarket ones are going to be more cheaply made and I'll avoid those. But it's also likely that the current AC Delco replacements have a few cut corners as well. They may even be totally outsourced by now and just be a decent aftermarket unit that AC Delco deemed sufficient to carry their label. My best bet is to find a NOS assembly and I'll look around for one. Is there a GOOD aftermarket brand I could consider? There's a company in Arizona that rebuilds original regulators with custom-machined metal parts so they're essentially bulletproof. I emailed them for info and price, but I doubt I'll dive down that wormhole since my original lasted 193K miles (well, I'm assuming it original) and I rarely drive the Tahoe now.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After reading several bad reviews about aftermarket regulators, I went with OE.
Called my local dealer and they wanted my first born so I googled them and found one online for a lot less through a GM parts site.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would check rockauto and just order a oem one, doubt you will find a cheaper price anywhere except ebay and even ebay is often very close but the catch with that is free shipping so ebay sometimes wins. it can go either way, sometimes amazon is mixed in there too

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with you guys- best bet is OEM, even if the newer revisions aren't quite as good as the original. Wes, I didn't see any new OEM ones that cheap on Amazon. I should double-check my search criteria.

On the other hand, this is being put on hold for now because I fixed it. Had a frayed cable all caught up on the drum. Took it apart and made a new cable with stuff I had laying around. Works great now. Will post pics and details in my build thread if anyone's interested.

Thank you for your replies.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, I paid about $120 for my assembly from GM.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't know it was available without the motor. I'llbedamned. I'd probably get one with a new motor since mine is who-knows-how-old and it's always been a hair slower than the others.

Thanks for the info!
usually they are sold separately because normally only one or the other fails, more common for the regulator to fail than a motor
and when the regulator wears that is what makes it slower, when you replace it normally it ends up being the faster one then because the other 3 are now worn more. hence why the front windows will end up being slower then the rears because the fronts get used more often. same for drivers window versus passenger.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
I'm with you guys- best bet is OEM, even if the newer revisions aren't quite as good as the original. Wes, I didn't see any new OEM ones that cheap on Amazon. I should double-check my search criteria.

On the other hand, this is being put on hold for now because I fixed it. Had a frayed cable all caught up on the drum. Took it apart and made a new cable with stuff I had laying around. Works great now. Will post pics and details in my build thread if anyone's interested.

Thank you for your replies.

Geeze, im impressed! cable driven window regulators freak me out when they get snarled and you brought one back from the dead!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhmjr