Will be doing the '19-'21 Big brake upgrade on my '00 Tahoe.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
chevrol8t

chevrol8t

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for this! I drove my daughter's Suburban 1500 a few weeks ago, and the brakes are squishy as a gummi bear in Texas heat. This is in comparison to my other daughter's 2003 Sierra Denali, my 2004 Silverado 2500, and my wife's 2005 Suburban 2500.
No problem! I wish I knew about this sooner. I love my ride but I always feared a panic stop as I knew braking was less then ideal. I will be replacing the rears this weekend as they are still factory. I will be replacing them with OEM factory, I just want the old ones gone.

OP
OP
chevrol8t

chevrol8t

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove 10 hours round trip to get a set out of a junkyard in Virginia!? Now just gotta get them painted & then install them!
I swear these things are turning into one heck of a hunt. I don't get why GM got away from these? I went to see what type they are using now and the new calipers are smaller two piston. Maybe it's a money saving thing for the company?

NoClue97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for this! I drove my daughter's Suburban 1500 a few weeks ago, and the brakes are squishy as a gummi bear in Texas heat. This is in comparison to my other daughter's 2003 Sierra Denali, my 2004 Silverado 2500, and my wife's 2005 Suburban 2500.
Not to hijack the thread but would you say the hyrdoboost makes a big difference then? Debating whether to do GMT900 brakes or hyrdroboost swap for my 02 Suburban first.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem is I can't speak to the GMT900 brakes. Stock, Suburban 1500 vs Stock, Suburban 2500? Hell yes. Hydroboost all the way. I had no idea the 1500 series breaks were so squishy. And I know, for a fact, the brakes on my Silverado are effing excellent. Had to panic stop whilst towing a trailer.

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know i used to think the brakes on my 02 avalanche where pretty decent. till we got our 03 denali with hyrdo boost, and man for all other components being the same it makes a world of difference. then i got my 02 2500 burb also with hydro boost and man i tell you it is one of my favorite parts of the truck after the 8.1. then i started driving our 03 tahoe with standard brakes and it is a noticeable difference from the others ( i feel like it is less so than even the avalanche with the same components)

so yes hydro boost is worth the upgrade esp if you tow or have heavy weight, anything you do to upgrade the size of the rotors ect will compound that even further.

OP
OP
chevrol8t

chevrol8t

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a quick update. Brakes are still great...however I just found out that my master cylinder is leaking from around the edges (because I'm lucky that way) fortunately It's no big drama to replace other than fluids and bleeding. Will get around to that very soon. Will I still do Hydro-boost? Yeah, more than likely. in all honesty just stopping short (no pun intended) of added hydro-boost to make the breaking even better is almost a crime. Maybe early next year I will start on that!

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
Just a quick update. Brakes are still great...however I just found out that my master cylinder is leaking from around the edges (because I'm lucky that way) fortunately It's no big drama to replace other than fluids and bleeding. Will get around to that very soon. Will I still do Hydro-boost? Yeah, more than likely. in all honesty just stopping short (no pun intended) of added hydro-boost to make the breaking even better is almost a crime. Maybe early next year I will start on that!
My question if you cant find calipers now what happens when one of your calipers need to be replaced.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chevrol8t

chevrol8t

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My question if you cant find calipers now what happens when one of your calipers need to be replaced.
Very good question. I guess I would have to eat the loss. just the brakes alone I am about $200.00 in for the set. I'm not saying $200 is nothing to sneeze at but it could be worse. for the results (at least for me) it's worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh