Wife's escalade taking a while for heat.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alaska_guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guage will show 210 on the temp Guage but no heat until a few minutes after... seems it's slowly gotten worse. Used to heat up quick.

Any idea?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might try getting a scan tool and see what the sensor is saying the coolant temp is. The dash gauge is sometimes a little suspect. Based on what you find with the scan tool, you may need a new thermostat.

UmmScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes to this^^^

Confirm that the temp sensor is actually correct and reading what a scan tool says.

If that checks out ok, time to look at coolant levels and blend door controls [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Guage will show 210 on the temp Guage but no heat until a few minutes after... seems it's slowly gotten worse. Used to heat up quick.

Any idea?

You also live in Alaska, that it self makes the car take longer to warm up. Lol

Are the rear vents doing the same?

Yes to this^^^

Confirm that the temp sensor is actually correct and reading what a scan tool says.

If that checks out ok, time to look at coolant levels and blend door controls [emoji106][emoji106]

I'm leaning more towards the blend door actuators.

OP
OP
alaska_guy

alaska_guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coolant level is fine. I had the blend motors fixed initially when I bought the vehicle as it would only blow cool air in the rear. The heat eventually works, scan tool and gauges match for coolant temp. I have a laptop to datalog real time. So replace thermostat first and then look at blend doors. Thanks. I will get the thermostat replaced and go from there.

UmmScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coolant level is fine. I had the blend motors fixed initially when I bought the vehicle as it would only blow cool air in the rear. The heat eventually works, scan tool and gauges match for coolant temp. I have a laptop to datalog real time. So replace thermostat first and then look at blend doors. Thanks. I will get the thermostat replaced and go from there.
Dont get your hopes up with the thermostat.

You probably have a blend door issue or a partial restriction in the heater core(s).

Been down this path. Thought my thermostat was opening too soon but, my front heater core has a partial restriction.
It will heat but takes a long time and there really isnt much heat until its really at the 195 Mark.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Any recent work on the cooling system, like a new radiator?

OP
OP
alaska_guy

alaska_guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vehicle only has 130k moles on it. We are the second owner purchased with 98k miles. Had the entire thing gone through by the dealer when we bought it and have had numerous spot checks along the way as we get the oil changed. Radiator looks fine. I will replace the tstat as that's an easy thing to do in my shop and go from there. 1. It doesn't cost much, 2. One thing to eliminate.

I may look into buying a tech 2.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The reason I asked about the radiator is that some aftermarket radiators don't have the proper restriction for the line that goes back to the surge tank. That can cause slow or no warmups. You didn't say whether or not it had been changed recently, so we'll assume that it hasn't, and that this isn't the issue.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vadenA77