Who is worse Buyers or sellers?

When buying/selling a used vehicle, Who is worse?

• Sellers are worse

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Buyers are worse

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Which ever one is not me

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buyers. I dread trying to sell anything anymore, even at a fair or give away price. Hell I don't even want to deal with people just to give shit away....

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do work for dealers. They will look you in the eye and lie without thinking twice.

One of my brothers is a psychopath ans a criminal. He'll do it just for fun. And to distract you from the fact that he's stealing something from you.

joe

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ones that tell me they will be there at X time but don’t show up or are 3 hours late. I get trying to Jew someone down on price even after a tentative agreement. I’ve agreed on a price before based off crappy pics and sellers description to only to walk away from sale or offer less than negotiates price because item was not as described. My time is as rare as a Bigfoot on a unicorn and since I’ve wasted so much time with idiots on Craigslist I refuse anymore. I’ll throw something away, give it away, set it by the street, light it on fire or blow it up before dealing with people. As far as buying from idiots, I usually find if they have multiple items listed they tend to be there when they say and have more of an honest description. Probably due to dealing with idiots on a daily basis.
I have to say my biggest pet peeve is the ones that don’t answer. What the hell are you selling crap for if you aren’t available to answer a phone, text or email? I’ve had people get back to me and say, “sold it yesterday”. That’s nice douchbag, I messaged you 3 days ago!! I’m done with it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, it's not healthy to bottle yourself up like that. You gotta learn to express your frustrations, right out loud.

joe

drowssap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted an amazing deal on a 2005 Sierra HD crew cab 4x4. Listed it for $5500 and over the next two days I received multiple offers from people that never even came to see it first. All offers were below asking price. I told them I was firm and they would not even come look! I had it posted in multiple locations on CL and FB marketplace. I took all of the ads down and reposted but this time with a $6000 asking price. A few of the original people contacted me and asked what was up. i told them that I was sick of what was happening so now I want more money BUT I would be willing to make them a deal today only for $5500! All 4 of them got angry. The silver lining to the story was two days after posting the ad at the higher price....A gentleman that happened to be a mechanic at a Chevy dealership came to check out the truck and without even asking a question handed over $6000!!

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd have to say buyers.

If a seller's ad is lousy (as many are) you can just bypass it. I'm sure as hell not going to waste my time trying to buy something if the seller won't even post a legible ad, post a decent picture, or respond to an email.

Buyers, OTOH, are time wasters. They tell you they are interested and then nothing. Or they ask "what is the lowest you'll take" (my standard response to that one is "what is the most you'll pay?") Worse yet, they set an appointment to come see it and then don't show up, wasting my time.

Back in about 2012 I had my wife's Grand Vitara up for sale. Had a couple come and look at it and they said they were ready to buy it at our agreed price ($10k) but that it would take a few days for them to line up financing. I said that was fine, deleted the ad and got our personal stuff out of the truck. Then he called back 3 days later saying he could "only get $9600" so would I take that? I told him "F*** No, we agreed on $10k and that's the price." He tried to argue with me and give me reasons why the truck was only "worth" $9600 and I just hung up on him. Never heard from him again. Screw that guy. I'm sure he was just trying to beat me for $400 and figured if he waved $9600 in my face I'd take it but at that point it was personal and I figured I'd rather lose a sale than be taken for a sucker. Best part is that I relisted the truck and sold it for $10,200 about a month later.

Another buyer story: I had a camper shell/topper from my old Tacoma up for sale. I had already arranged to buy another one on Thursday so I had to get this one sold and off the truck no later than Wednesday. So a guy calls me from a town 60 miles away on Sunday and says he is "interested" in the topper and wants to look at it. I told him if he wanted to come get it he should come soon because I had to have it off by Wednesday. He said he couldn't come up until the next Saturday. I said "well IF it's still available you can look at it." In the meantime a local contacted me on Monday and bought the topper on Wednesday. Thursday I picked up my new one. So then, Saturday, guy No. 1 calls me and says "I'm ready to come see the topper, what is your address?" I told him it was sold and he got angry "I thought you were going to hold it for me!" I told him that I never said that and in any case he never even promised to buy it, just to look at it and when I sell something, cash talks.

By contrast, I don't really have any bad "seller" stories. I've bought cars and motorcycles off of CL with no real problems. Sometimes the vehicle was not as nice as the pictures made it look but you know, that's why you go look. I've never reneged on a price and I've never regretted any of my on line vehicle purchases.

OP
OP
A

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have bought 2 vehicles here in Arizona since I have been here. I was lucky enough that both times the people were near me. I know most people like to buy vehicles at the bank, because its safe, and you can deal with the cash right there, but not me. There's a 24 hour title place about 500 yards from my bank. It costs either $6 or $11 service fee to take care of it there. I'm usually flexible on my time so I work around the seller, as long as they will go with me to take care of the title after we have the deal in place. We take care of all the paperwork and I register it in my name right then and there (which I think is nice peace of mind for the seller too).

There is a website you can check the emissions history of a vehicle. Its not required for a seller to get it done before they sell it, (its on the new owner). If its anything other than no problems, I would either pass, or have them get it done first.

I would think that forum members are already ahead of the game, showing we have at least some kind of interest of our vehicles beyond the basics.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Sellers are the worst. I use to sell new and used cars for a living at a huge chrysler/dodge dealer. I've seen too much. A seller can screw a buyer out of thousands of their hard earned money (repairs or just price), a buyer cant do that. On the flip side buyers can be idiots and not do any research, but that's their fault not the sellers.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Also this should be moved to the "lounge" section of the forum not here

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sellers are the worst. Before I go further, I've been a seller and a buyer. Here is my opinion.. sellers know what they are selling, and it is 90% of the time something that has issues and they want rid of it. They may disclose the issues of what they are selling, but never the severity. Or they sugarcoat the issues, anything they can do to get the sale done so they don't have to worry about it anymore. Or there's those sellers, that have a 15 year old vehicle that they legitimately spent money on, and tack on what they did to it on top of what book value is... Those guys are the worst to me. Come on, a 1995 Tahoe with a LS3 swap and suspension upgrades is not worth 20k, no matter what anyone says!

The only bad thing I can say about a buyer, are the ones that immediately ask ''what's the lowest price you'll accept?'. Those are the ones I tell to **** off right off the bat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157