Who Bought Extended Warranty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gibby13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also for every extended warranty we have purchased we have got at least $750 back when we got rid of the vehicle from canceling the remainder of the warranty.

Shrubs2K2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a believer in extended warranties as I keep my vehicles for a long time and they've always worked out in my favor. The RAM was the exception as I couldn't pass up the cash offer. When I sold my '19 RAM, I got back just over $2.2K from FCA and rolled that into the extended warranty of the Yukon.

shock

Reaction score
I just pulled the trigger on GMEPP Platinum $0 deductible for my 2019 Tahoe and my 2019 Silverado 3500 DMAX.

As said above, they are useless until the b2b runs out, but of course that affects the cost. You can do the math on how many months/estimated miles you’re getting beyond b2b.

I pulled the trigger now for a couple reasons. I don’t think the cost has increased yet to reflect the covid inflation. I bought from Knapp online (google it). They offer a 0% payment plan, but beware if you call them they’ll give you $200 off for paying in full (I’d call that $200 interest on the payment plan, personally).

The term on GMEPP represents “from today” regarding mileage and months. For example, my Tahoe has about 11,000 miles on the odo. That means with an 84/56k plan, I’m covered 7 years from today or 67k miles on the odo. Again, it pays nothing the next 12 months while still under b2b.

Knapp says prices are going up June 3rd. Not sure if that’s true but I wouldn’t be surprised. I’ve also been told by a finance guy that extended warranty quotes tend to jump every 12k on your odometer.

As far as what I paid (AFTER $200 discount for paying in full), both plans 84/56K Platinum $0 deductible...

2019 Tahoe LT Z71, 11k miles $1,654
2019 3500HD LTZ Duramax, 3k miles $1,849

If you’re still under b2b warranty you can get a quote on their site. The numbers don’t reflect the $200 discount for paying in full.

I’m usually against service contracts on most things, but I was already on the fence since these complicated new cars can get very pricey to fix.

Keep in mind too that these are typically transferable if you sell (giving buyer confidence) or partially refunded if you trade-in.

Yukon21Denali

Reaction score
GMPP has 1 month or 1000mi policy activation wait time so best is to get close to 3/36 bumper expiration time...keeping the activation wait period in mind.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing I've read is that the GM warranty is specific about covering only factory defects. If the transmission starts slipping at 55k miles, is that a defect or normal wear and tear from abuse or towing? Who wins that argument?

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And the Chevrolet extension GMEPP is only available for two years?

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM gave us a 5 year 75,000 mile $0 deductible warranty a few months after we bought it since our vehicle was in the dealership service bay for 31 days getting the fuel system repaired after 616 miles. I think they thought it would stop us from taking GM to court under our states lemon law. GM was wrong :) LOL. Between the bad lifters and bad springs during our engine build date it is just a matter of time before our engine self destructs. Crossing my fingers we can get out of this lemon before it leaves us stranded.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing I've read is that the GM warranty is specific about covering only factory defects. If the transmission starts slipping at 55k miles, is that a defect or normal wear and tear from abuse or towing? Who wins that argument?

Another thing my dealer said was with GMEPP you only get 2 extra years and it was the same price as the plan as the plan I bought that gives me 3 extra years and 12k more miles. I would have preferred 8/100 if it was available, but they won't go out that far any more...
If its doing well, I usually keep them at least 6-8 years...Its the only way you can begin to justify the costs of vehicle and warranty....

abearsfan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I paid $2046 for the 100K platinum w/$100 deductible and for the maintenance plan I get a service every 5k miles for whatever is listed in the owner's manual up to 60k which I paid $1820

Last edited:

WTSHARK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had never considered the extended or "add on" warranty on any vehicle (or any other item I ever purchased). But.. when I bought my 2015 Yukon XL in 2015 and went from driving a 93 C3500 to the Yukon, the changes in the technology were truly night and Venus. Considering the factory bumper to bumper was 5 years and the extended was 8, I figured since it covered all of the electronics (and there are a LOT of electronics) and the mechanical, it was only about 1000 bucks. It was worth it. It's nice to have the peace of mind. Knowing (even now) that if I have an issue (such as last year my left brake light went out) I can call the dealer, drop the extended warranty and it's covered. We know the extended warranty doesn't cover paint, but what does? I still have another two years left on it, I suppose you could extend the warranty at the end, for a cost previously mentioned here, but it added three years of coverage and a number of miles, though I'll never max those out as my truck has 15,600 miles on it after 6 six years and it was more about the time frame. It was worth it.
I see there have been mechanical issues covered, and I figured the extra thousand bucks was worth that for the extra three years and covering all of the electrical stuff that can fail on these things, from screens to ignition and having those brake lights covered (which may have been just inside the factory warranty) but it may not have and when I took it to the dealer and they saw the extended warranty, they went ahead and replaced both rear brake lights, as they knew the left may develop the same problem as well.
I guess it comes down to your value and opinion, the extra three years for the extended 8 above the factory 5 is cheaper than dropping thousands for something small at 5 years and 3 months. Like any insurance, it feels like a "waste" of money until you need it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442