Whine from engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
DirtDigler

DirtDigler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yikes! That poor lady. Good looking out guys. I was smart to be careful. I did try the stethoscope but I couldn't tell if any pulleys were out of the norm. Sound seems to have died down a little. I did notice what looks like a leak behind the PS pump, but it's full. When I have time I'll pull the serpentine belt.
Btw, it's an 01 Yukon 5.3 4wd.

Blk 09 LTZ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the same sound issue. Turned out to be the ps pump. My mechanic has the same 09 Tahoe as mine and has had the same whine for years....says it’s common and doesn’t effect the steering at all. My opinion is it’s not a problem until it becomes a problem, and you don’t want that when you’re 1000 miles away somewhere in the mountains etc. Its a 2 1/2 hour job to replace the pump, but I’ll be having it done this spring sometime!

SUMTOY2

Reaction score
Yikes! That poor lady. Good looking out guys. I was smart to be careful. I did try the stethoscope but I couldn't tell if any pulleys were out of the norm. Sound seems to have died down a little. I did notice what looks like a leak behind the PS pump, but it's full. When I have time I'll pull the serpentine belt.
Btw, it's an 01 Yukon 5.3 4wd.
Stupid question but you say PS is topped off. To the full line or canister

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
You heard her say, "Without thinking". If not qualified or smart enough, any person, male or female, should stay out of an engine bay with the engine running. Couple times in my post I use the word careful. So yea, I would tell her that for sure! I feel bad for her.

Hell, there are people out there that think oil changes are easy, right up to the point where the car falls on them.

So many people on this forum want to do it themselves to save money but if unsure they need to ask here or be shown by a qualified trained friend. Stay safe.
Even the best of us have those moments. Safety is a habit that needs nurturing. Most important is the hadit of assessing the risks for each task.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GCL24