Which type of lowering kit is better?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skbishop90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Bell Tech 2/4 drop on my Hoe. Bought from the previous owner. I did an alignmen on it due to the steering wheel being slightly off. Once under the Hoe, I noticed that the front suspension is literally sitting on the bump stops. I dont like that at all. I have the kit with the keys for the front. I am looking at purchasing the drop spindles and putting the stock keys back in to solve this problem. Along with new ball joints for good measure.

Any experience with the other brands lower control arm drops? It this better than the drop spindles? I would think that the spindles keep your factory suspension geometry in tact since the control arms and torsion bars arent messed with, but the location of the hub is the only thing that is changed. My Hoe has just over 93K on it now and I dont plan to drive it much but I dont plan on getting rid of it. I want a kit that want go through ball joints like I go through underwear.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
front you can do the drop spindles and call it good with stock keys in rear you can just cut the brackets off the frame and its ready to roll.

mharders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe these trucks are designed to ride on the front bumpstops (jounce stops) to work with the torsion bar suspension.

OP
OP
skbishop90

skbishop90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I wouldnt think they are designed to sit on the bump stops. That just doesnt seem right, being the alignment angles are WAY off. The cam bolts for the camber adjustment are maxed out with the keys. I would think that with all the factory keys back in and the spindles in instead, it would be good. I dont want to go any lower than I am right now. Im not interested in tucking 26's or anything. My ride is my main concern. Even as it is right now, it rides sooooo good. I want to keep that. I know that the lower profile tires on bigger rims and the lower I go, the more the ride quality will suffer. Thats not what im looking for. I just want my alignment to be correct, without blow ball joints every 30K miles. I was just looking for input on the spindles vs drop lower control arms.

Red_Raider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Belltech spindles on my Tahoe. I just put them on this past weekend. So far the ride quality has been good, but I'm sure it will be better once I install some shocks made for a drop kit.

OP
OP
skbishop90

skbishop90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Belltech spindles on my Tahoe. I just put them on this past weekend. So far the ride quality has been good, but I'm sure it will be better once I install some shocks made for a drop kit.

That should help a LOT, once you lower anything, the shocks are designed for a certain ride height. The shorter shocks from Bell Tech or whoever should help a good bit. Mine rides great as is, unless I hit a bump on the interstate. Then hang on :Grenade:. Itll bounce all over the place. Im sure thats because of being directly on the bump stops.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
yah lower you go on keys more it rests on stops and ride gets worse.

Jewel or Jalopy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I peeked under ours a few weeks ago, and it looks to be sitting on the bump stops in the front on a stock Z71. That killed any ideas I had about using keys in the front. When I have the funds I'll go with a spindle or A-arm to lower the front.

I also tow a 5000 lb trailer, so need to plan any lowering carefully.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
not really with the 3/5-6 inch kit my rear springs i set up so you can use helper bags and can tow perfectly fine with it and what I mean by fine is a suburban dropped with my springs in rear towing a 70 full weight big block chevelle with 6 guys in the truck

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
No offense guys, this subject has been brought up for years. But these vehicles are meant to ride on and use the jounce stop(bump stop) as a progressive rate spring, as such. Since we only have torsion bars up front, which is technically only a linear spring. The jounce stop acts as a secondary spring, to make the front end have a progressive spring rate. Otherwise, without them, it will only use and rely on the torsion bar, which doesn't change rate. I have tried, I've run without the jounce stop, and it didn't help. Because these suspensions weren't designed to work without them.
Here is an explanation about these suspesions and torsion bars and why they use jounce stops.
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32545

All this being said. I have messed with my suspension enough to finally get and use the best jounce stop and position that feels best for me. I use a Z71 jounce stop, trimmed some, and resting on LCA. But with modifying and adjusting the height, size and movement, I have gotten it to feel very good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcutter004