Which tuner to disable AFM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cool thing about the BB tune is that the AutoCal v3 handheld tuner stores your stock/OEM tunes, so you can swap back in 5 minutes for warranty/dealer work. Then reinstall the BB tune after you get it back. Just some food for thought.
2nd that - My AutoCal has my factory tune on it and ready at any time. Additionally, my understanding from BBP is that the programing is virtually transparent when in for service.

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2nd that - My AutoCal has my factory tune on it and ready at any time. Additionally, my understanding from BBP is that the programing is virtually transparent when in for service.
Would the stealership not be able to see that any tuning was done due to the transparency? Would it take some digging or would the trained eye easily be able to see things like trans shifts were adjusted, AFM/DoD was deleted?

I’m asking out of curiosity more so than having the need to worry about a warranty. I’m still hoping GM get slapped with a CAL and is forced to offer the option for a “tune” of sorts with regards to AFM on newer vehicles.

*edit: I live in a state that doesn’t require inspections, so I know for some guys having the option to revert between stock and tune is a “necessity”.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would the stealership not be able to see that any tuning was done due to the transparency?
Would it take some digging or would the trained eye easily be able to see things like trans shifts were adjusted, AFM/DoD was deleted?

I’m asking out of curiosity more so than having the need to worry about a warranty.
I’m still hoping GM get slapped with a CAL and is forced to offer the option for a “tune” of sorts with regards to AFM on newer vehicles.

*edit: I live in a state that doesn’t require inspections, for some guys having the option to revert between stock and tune is a “necessity”.
No dealership has any access to the ecm / tcm / etc coding, in binary, hex, or any other format (unless equipped with HPTuners / EFI Live / other tuner EDITING software that dealerships so far have NEVER USED because they ONLY use OE 'tunes' that only GM would edit very far from any dealership).

What a dealership may have is access to the 'checksum' and the 'checksum verification number', but both of these are addressed by properly using HPTuners / EFI Live etc.
So, a dealership would see, for example, a vehicle whose V4 mode never turns on, throws no codes, and has expected checksums AND checksum verification numbers, and most likely pay no further mind.
If the vehicle had its tcm 'tuned', it would most likely need to be driven for the tune to be noticed by the test driver's lower back / arse.

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The changes, if stock are subtle in my opinion, however I pay attention to the sounds and actions of my truck - primarily looking for anomalies that need/going to need attention. I expect that a GM tech is not going to have that kind of intimate knowledge of how your rig is acting normally.

ECaseyP

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The cool thing about the BB tune is that the AutoCal v3 handheld tuner stores your stock/OEM tunes, so you can swap back in 5 minutes for warranty/dealer work. Then reinstall the BB tune after you get it back. Just some food for thought.
I decided to return the Range and just save the money towards getting a Black Bear tune. One thing I'm not a fan of is the lack of throttle response from time to time. It seems like when you are getting of the interstate and don't have to come to a complete stop, you have to mash the throttle to get it to respond and accelerate; I don't like that at all. Another thing is when approaching a hill in V4, when it goes back to V8 mode it lacks power unless you mash the throttle.

I'm beginning to think there maybe an issue with either the throttle body or the throttle pedal. I'm going to clean the throttle body this weekend and see if it helps. Also I've been looking at getting a catch can for this Tahoe as well.

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds great! Our tune will definitely help improve the throttle response. Cleaning the throttle body is a good idea as well. We would also suggest checking your gas pedal assembly. It may be loose and flexing.

ECaseyP

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That sounds great! Our tune will definitely help improve the throttle response. Cleaning the throttle body is a good idea as well. We would also suggest checking your gas pedal assembly. It may be loose and flexing.
I'll definitely give the pedal a look over. I've been researching it a little and apparently these have a known issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar