Which one to buy??!! 5.3. 6.2. 2009? 2012 Tahoe Yukon Escalade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NIk B

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking to purchase either a 2012 and up Tahoe LTZ. Or either a 2008-2009 or 2012 and up Yukon Denali/Escalade.

looking for this specific years because I read the 2012 and up have the updated valley cover to help with AFM oiling. Or 2008-2009 6.2 engine vin code “2” wasn’t equipped with AFM components at all.

Anything else I should be looking for in these? Common problems? First time purchasing a GM honestly. (Converted lol). Downside to either engine? Leaning towards a 6.2 for the 80 more hp. But idk.

14RamHemiSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awd or 4wd or 2wd? I prefer 4wd. I bought an AWD Denali for the wife. 2009 with no afm (if I recall correctly, it had the hardware, just no software for afm). No afm is better than improved afm imo. The denalis are very nice. I love our Yukon. If I had to purchase one for myself I would hunt down an 09 Tahoe ltz with the 6.2l. that would take time but worth it.

Our Denali with falken wildpeaks is a beast in the snow.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a tuned 05 5.3 Tahoe with 4.10 gears, and now I have a 09 Tahoe with tuned 6.2 and 3.42 gears..... I would NEVER, EVER consider a 5.3

The 5.3 is a good engine and I'm not naysaying anything about it. But the difference in power is something that can't be ignored. I get 1mpg less than my old 5.3. On E85 with mostly city driving I'm getting 11mpg.

I recommend anything with a 6.2 in the GMT900 SUV platform.

OP
OP
N

NIk B

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Awd or 4wd or 2wd? I prefer 4wd. I bought an AWD Denali for the wife. 2009 with no afm (if I recall correctly, it had the hardware, just no software for afm). No afm is better than improved afm imo. The denalis are very nice. I love our Yukon. If I had to purchase one for myself I would hunt down an 09 Tahoe ltz with the 6.2l. that would take time but worth it.

Our Denali with falken wildpeaks is a beast in the snow.

Been looking for an 09 Tahoe LTZ 6.2 forever. If they’re out there they don’t want to be sold lol. 4Wd or AWD. NOt 2wd

OP
OP
N

NIk B

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a tuned 05 5.3 Tahoe with 4.10 gears, and now I have a 09 Tahoe with tuned 6.2 and 3.42 gears..... I would NEVER, EVER consider a 5.3

The 5.3 is a good engine and I'm not naysaying anything about it. But the difference in power is something that can't be ignored. I get 1mpg less than my old 5.3. On E85 with mostly city driving I'm getting 11mpg.

I recommend anything with a 6.2 in the GMT900 SUV platform.

Why do you run E85? It’s my understanding that it’s purely for emissions. No performance or mpg increase. Is it just cheaper? I’m leaning towards the 6.2 for just that reason of the power increase.

01FormulaTA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do you run E85? It’s my understanding that it’s purely for emissions. No performance or mpg increase. Is it just cheaper? I’m leaning towards the 6.2 for just that reason of the power increase.

a lot of people run E85 to get a performance increase, it's equivalent octane rating is 100+, higher octane means less detonation, it's basically cheap race fuel...

for example on the newer Gen V 5.3:

Factory 87 octane ratings are 355 HP / 383 LB-FT.
Factory E85 ratings are 380 HP / 416 LB-FT.

Last edited:

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use it because it gives a little more power, and it's cheaper than using premium. I do most city driving so there is no mpg gain or loss

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
two years ago we bought an 08 yukon denali XL awd 6.2 with 125k miles for approx $17k otd. we now have 140k without a single problem. these are truly "road limo's" just finished another 1000 mile loop to sedona and back in complete luixury. 18 mpg at 73mph getting there and 14.5 coming back with a 4x8 uhaul enclosed trailer at 75 to 80 mph. love the 6.2. This forum and the knowledge of it's members allows you to purchase pre owned knowing you will be able to diagnose/repair "ANYTHING" that can go wrong. you want service records, 6.2, no rust, no afm, 09 up for bluetooth if your cell phone is your alter ego, jmo!

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
two years ago we bought an 08 yukon denali XL awd 6.2 with 125k miles for approx $17k otd. we now have 140k without a single problem. these are truly "road limo's" just finished another 1000 mile loop to sedona and back in complete luixury. 18 mpg at 73mph getting there and 14.5 coming back with a 4x8 uhaul enclosed trailer at 75 to 80 mph. love the 6.2. This forum and the knowledge of it's members allows you to purchase pre owned knowing you will be able to diagnose/repair "ANYTHING" that can go wrong. you want service records, 6.2, no rust, no afm, 09 up for bluetooth if your cell phone is your alter ego, jmo!

I love the "road limo" reference, as that is about as close to a really true definition of this machine that I have heard. Heck, my wife hates trucks, but she likes to be a passenger in my truck.

And, every year when we go camping, she has to drive this truck on the final leg of the trip with a trailer attached, and she does it!