Which battery (AGM or Wet) came stock in 2012 Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dukbludvl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what type of battery came stock in my 2012 Tahoe (second owner), 5.3L, 4wd, LT. Is there anywhere I can go to figure this out? I know if you've got a AGM you're not supposed to replace with wet, but if it came with a lead acid battery then you can install an AGM, right?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what type of battery came stock in my 2012 Tahoe (second owner), 5.3L, 4wd, LT. Is there anywhere I can go to figure this out? I know if you've got a AGM you're not supposed to replace with wet, but if it came with a lead acid battery then you can install an AGM, right?
The GMT900s were not designed to use AGM batteries. That doesn't stop people from using them though, they just don't last as long as they could have.

1632683871677.png

My 48PS lasted about 4 years and was replaced by the 48HPG.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had two wet cells and now an AGM. The first battery was a wet cell (OEM came with truck new), lasted 7 years. My second battery was also a wet cell (Interstate, direct replacement of stock specs), it lasted 5 years. My last battery is a Napa Legend AGM. I noticed that it seemed to be getting marginal charge wise after only a few years. I had just replaced my alternator, for a whining bearing, otherwise it seemed to charge fine. I assumed the alternator was not working as it should and that was why my expensive AGM seemed on the way out.

I did some fooling around and with the help of a few senior members here found I just wasn't getting a full charge on my frequent shorter trips. I bought a fairly high end (still under $100) battery charger/tender which also does battery conditioning. I have used it pretty consistently for maybe 6 months and the battery really seems to be getting and keeping its charge again (always over 12.8v when I check it after everything has spooled down).

I don't know why, but it seems AGM batteries don't get a full charge with my truck's power management logic on shorter, more frequent trips that is my use profile now. It will be interesting to see how long my AGM battery will last, now that I am getting it fully charged between runs.

In the end, I doubt I will spend the money on a super duper AGM the next time around.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I use nothing but AGM in everything I own. I am DONE with adding water, fixing and painting corroded battery trays, and cleaning battery terminals damaged from acid spills and vapors.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use nothing but AGM in everything I own. I am DONE with adding water, fixing and painting corroded battery trays, and cleaning battery terminals damaged from acid spills and vapors.
Me too, that's why I switched to sealed batteries! Except in the boat with those Group 8s, had to add water to them every so often.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think most of the wet cell batteries these days, and way back to my OEM original, were no maintenance sealed cells. From a user maintenance standpoint no difference.

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My experience is the wet cells work best but it comes at a price. The charging systems on these will drain then they go into overdrive mode. I am on the second battery (I think-came with it- 12/17 - i know jinxed myself)) but it often charges to 14+ V.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This.

There are currently 8 AGM batteries in my driveway. Never any issues, they last 6+ years.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The GMT900s were not designed to use AGM batteries. That doesn't stop people from using them though, they just don't last as long as they could have.

View attachment 351395

My 48PS lasted about 4 years and was replaced by the 48HPG.
challenge accepted I bought the one with the longest warranty 3 years vs 5 years... 20$ more

159 for the AGM with 5 years full warranty(says right on the battery) why would i spend 139 for a normal with only 3 years...

that is a cost of ownership of $2.67 per month for the AGM... compared to
$3.86 per month for the normal one

I checked walmart they downgraded the warranty to 3yr full/5yr pro rated for the AGM. on newer ones.. also the price is higher (due to inflation )

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justjacks07

Latest posts