Wheel/Tire Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UpAndDown

Reaction score
Hi I am new here and new to this platform, although I’ve owned a TrailBlazer for the past 16 years so I am familiar with GM products. I am looking at buying a used 08 Tahoe LT 4WD with the 5.3 flex fuel engine and about 125k on the clock. Am I correct that all wheels from the last 20 years or so use the 139mm offset spacing wheels with the same 6x5.5 lug pattern? So I found wheels from a gen 4, day a 2017, 18 or 19, they would fit on the 08 with no issues? If the truck I’m looking at came with 17s and I fogged a set of stock 18s would it throw the speedometer off? Are the TPMS sensors the same on the newer gen wheels so that if I got a set with tires they would work without any mods? Anything else I should know it be aware of? Thanks for the help. All replies are appreciated.

Richard Ruddock

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You will be okay, as long as you stick to similar tire diameters. The stock 17 inch rims come with 265/70R17 tires with a total diameter of 31.61 inches. The stock 18 inch rims have a total diameter of 31.56 inches with 265/65R18 tires, and 32.07 inches if you choose to go slightly larger with 275/65R18 tires (non OEM size). The stock 20 inch rims have a total diameter of 31.91 with 275/55R20 tires. In all cases, your speedometer will show such a miniscule variance that it isn't even worth discussing.

If you look at my avatar, you see I have 20 inch rims offered on the 2019-present Silverado and 2021 Tahoe and Suburban. I bought them as factory take-offs, but they had 275/60R20 tires with a total diameter of 33 inches. With the 33's, I got rubbing on the wheel well liner when turning and in reverse, so I sold them and bought 275/55R20's instead (because I did not want to cut into the wheel well liner or do a NorCal mod to make the other tires work).

One thing to be aware of: the newer GM/Chevy rims have different offsets. For instance, the newer 18 inch rims have offsets of 24 mm compared to the 18 inch rims offered during our production years that had 31 mm offsets. This will give an increased positive scrub of @ 5 mm or so. Check out both of these websites:
https://www.hubcaphaven.com -- in order to look up the various rim specs
https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/ -- in order to play with different rim and tires sizes to see what differences are made

As for your question about TPMS sensors, they will be the same @ 315 MHz, so you won't have an issue there either. There are a number of YouTube videos showing the procedure to set/reset TPMS sensors for our vehicles. Here is one in particular:

Good luck.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins