What's Wrong With Your Yukon/Tahoe Today? ...And How Long Has This Been Happening?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
I noticed that every random thread here seems to include a main topic on something which is eventually followed by a series of posts a few pages later that occasionally talks about someone's ride having a problem. Not major issues, but little ones that don't require time in the shop. I thought it would be interesting to create a universal thread on the quirks and issues you experience in your daily driven Yukon/Tahoe, to share them with everyone here in hopes of finding a solution that others may have. If it's a common problem that others can relate to, maybe it can be discussed and resolved here.

I'll go first...

In the 2 months I've owned my Yukon AT4, I occasionally hear a "thud" behind the driver's seat, as if a bowling ball hit somewhere behind me when I'm driving alone. Nothing moves around back there, it only happens once a day, and I don't feel any vibration in the floor when it does happen. I thought it might be the sliding rear seat, but it takes some muscle to slide them back and forth because of how stiff they are on the sliding track. And my kids never adjust the seats either. Very strange.

*Admin: If a similar thread already exists, please delete this one.

Is this a GMT T1XX platform post? Or are all models welcome?

Just50

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Make sure you kick straight under and not side to side
I can never get it right and for the sake of not looking like an idiot by others who might be watching me, I just find a way to get the button pressed or key out of my pocket lol

Just50

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am having an issue with my rear axle.
TLDR: Tahoe not riding right; service rear axle indicator on. Vehicle is with dealer now who is confirming what I'm describing.

I've noticed over the last week or so that my 22 Tahoe Z71 was just going over bumps differently and I could feel it handling just the same. The steering wheel has been behaving as if lane assist is activated and trying to center me in the lane while it's disabled. At first, I just took it as it was windy, as our weather has been pretty windy and such lately--it's a big box afterall and not uncommon to be tossed around in the lane with the wind. It was something I had noticed but it didn't really occur to me that there might have been an issue...

UNTIL, I was driving to work and came through an intersection near my house that has a slight incline--not enough to get air or even for the vehicle to be negatively impacted by taking the intersection at a higher rate than the posted speed limit. I came through that intersection and I could feel my rear end bounce far more than it should and it was enough that I could actually hear it hit and bounce as well--not anything clinking but just hearing the vehicle hit the bump that wasn't as it normally is assuming normal operation of the vehicle. And that same drive to work, I noticed my vehicle being a little more "swaying" while driving. I told myself that something wasn't right. I got to work, didn't do anything to the vehicle or about the drive and went to lunch.

When I went to lunch a few hours later, I was backing out of a parking space and a Service Rear Axle box popped up on the driver info display. I drove back to work feeling the ride being a little more bumpy than normal and fully aware that I now have an issue. I had the Tahoe towed back to the Chevrolet dealership and it's been there ever since. This was on Thursday.

At first, they weren't able to feel what I was feeling. They pulled and found about 5 pages of codes (not sure what codes they've found). Because of the codes, they acknowledged that something was happening. I recommended someone drive it who is used to driving a Tahoe/Suburban daily enough to notice how they're supposed to drive in comparison to just a quick drive up and down the street. I gave the tech permission to take the vehicle home so they could drive it longer than up the street and around the dealership. I checked in with them this morning and they said they were able to feel what I was describing and that my remote start wasn't working this morning either, which is also an indication.

I've had zero issues with this truck since taking delivery in February--other than a buggy infotainment system here and there with CarPlay not connecting to my phone. I haven't had any sort of road hazards or hit anything.

I've been reading that Yukons have had issues with the rear axle and just updating/replace the rear control module. But I haven't been able to find really anything that stated the driver was noticing a difference in how the Yukon was handling, just that the indicator light was on.

Anyone else have any issues?

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can never get it right and for the sake of not looking like an idiot by others who might be watching me, I just find a way to get the button pressed or key out of my pocket lol
Best way to practice is in the garage where the light is lower...stand in back, and kick straight in and out in a deliberate and not too fast manner..do it until you can successfully open/close it that way 6 or 7 times in a row...
Then repeat that as needed.

Generally, I line up with my left knee about even w/ the right side of the tow hitch cover, then kick in/out w/ my right foot. Gets it every time...but agree, I failed profusely when I first got the truck.

Danimalx87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try making a shallow kick right under the bumper and backing away. I was kicking too deep an standing next to the door, which would have hit me if it opened. I think the truck waits to make sure you're clear of the tailgate before opening it.

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'21 Denali xl diesel
Since December of 2021; when its cold (-20) the center console cup holders get so cold that pop will freeze.
GMC has had a case open since December of 2021; according to them their is an issue with the hvac system, they haven't figured it out. Case is still open, no fix, no eta.

Luda07

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ll start by saying I really like our Z71 Suburban but there has been a few issues, all relatively minor.

1. Buggy infotainment. Once every couple of months all audio stops, no music, turn signal clicks, Presets reset.

2. The rear hatch has always been very loud when opening/closing (from new) Dealer confirmed one of the hatch shocks was bad and replaced. Non warranted

3. The driver side button that controls the front/back stopped working. Dealer replaced. Non warranted

4. Most recent issue. I noticed while backing into the driveway that the driver side mirror camera was blue. As in the picture had a blueish tint and the 360 overhead showed that whole portion blued out. Has happened several times now. Has anyone else had that happen?

Danimalx87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shifting into and out of 2nd gear is really rough, engine will over rev and the truck noticeably lurches. Not sue if I should take it in or wait a bit longer for wear. Approximately 2500 miles on a 23.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17