What's Wrong With Your Yukon/Tahoe Today? ...And How Long Has This Been Happening?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1) Service Instrument Cluster message came up 2x, took to dealer, they cleared about 15 condes from the system, all related to Module to Module communication, hasn't happened since.
2) Twice now, rado preset changes to a different preset, and the Info Screen in the instrument cluster changes to an option 3-4 lines down the list.
3) Have a metallic or plastic sounding rattle in front passenger side, haven't pinpointed it yet, need to have my wife drive and me sit over there and push on stuff.
4) Have a rattle emanating from passenger side second row seat on occasion, haven't figured that one out yet either.
5) Have a squeaky alternator or idler pulley on cold starts, lasts about 10 seconds, then goes away. Plan on addressing this at my fist oil change.

The final 3 are what I consider normal issues, seem to have a few of these on each new car I get. The first two are more concerning -- although I think the first one is related to something in the manufacturing process that wasn't cleared or something.

wendal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only issue so far, and its a super small annoyance.

Randomly happened twice: Music volume (either XM or Bluetooth) won't change with the volume knob. It changes navigation volume (I dont have navigation destination set), I had to set a destination, wait for the directions to talk, and quickly turn the volume down while it was talking to adjust music volume. Turning off/on the car fixes it, but while driving that wasn't easy.
I have had this issue. It seemed related to Blutooth connection to phone. I turned off Blutooth on the phone, issue resolved. Turned Blutooth back on the phone and let it reconnect. I think I've experienced this twice.

wendal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I haven't touched my AM/FM radio since I got my Yukon. I've been using the blutooth and satellite radio 100% of the time. What annoys me is when I switch from blutooth to listen to the satellite radio, then turn off the vehicle and exit. When I return and start the vehicle, it reverts to the blutooth instead of satellite. And that "tab" is too tiny to switch between modes... unless there's a shortcut on the steering wheel I hadn't figured out yet.
Yep, I have this issue as well. I have an IPod touch in my armrest where I listen from most of the time. However, I played music from my phone once, and since then, every time I get in the truck, it switches to music from the phone as soon as it connects, even though I DON'T WANT IT TO DO SO, DAMMIT!! And pulling the battery cable to reset the radio should NOT be the only fix...

wendal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And finally... My driver's side mirror fails to stop moving up when I back out of my garage then put it in drive. I get down the street, look at the mirror and I'm looking up at the sky. Or, after I then manually fix it and reset my driver 1 settings, I'll at some point look over and am looking at the ground when I am not in reverse... Passenger mirror works fine 100% of the time. Due for an oil change, will have the dealer figure it out...

OP
OP
ProfeZZor X

ProfeZZor X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, my Z71 badges on the front quarter panels are coming off. The double sided tape isn't sticking. Dealer ordered new badges, hopefully they will let me install them myself, because i don't trust them to get it right, or maybe i'll just delete them and keep the new ones in the glove box for when i sell it.
The dealer I bought my Yukon from installed the black badging crooked on the passenger side door. It's visibly angled about 6 to 9 degrees off a straight horizontal axis. It's annoying as hell to look at, but the dealer will fix it next week and replace it with a new one.

I also have a bad rattle vibration on the underside. It only happens during a hill decent or while idling on a hill, so I'm thinking it might be two metal plates touching each other.

david1523

Reaction score
To be honest, I haven't touched my AM/FM radio since I got my Yukon. I've been using the blutooth and satellite radio 100% of the time. What annoys me is when I switch from blutooth to listen to the satellite radio, then turn off the vehicle and exit. When I return and start the vehicle, it reverts to the blutooth instead of satellite. And that "tab" is too tiny to switch between modes... unless there's a shortcut on the steering wheel I hadn't figured out yet.
Mine does always default to my phone too, You'd think they would come up with a way to keep it the same. But I also agree that trying to hit that little drop down menu while driving is a nightmare haha

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does always default to my phone too, You'd think they would come up with a way to keep it the same. But I also agree that trying to hit that little drop down menu while driving is a nightmare haha
You can select the source using the steering wheel controls…just hit the left/right arrows till you get to music, then press the wheel to select, then roll to your desired source, then press the wheel again.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Service Safety Restraint System" alert keeps coming on, despite having taken it in to get repaired (I think this was under a recall)...
I had this 3 times in a 45 day period. Took it in 3 times. Only once did they actually fix/replace anything. Waited 2 weeks for parts. Started a Tech case on it. No real resolution. Approaching lemon law territory. Problem is, I'm not willing to lemon law it as I REALLY like this vehicle. Not sure where to go from here, but currently for the last 3 weeks working well and no message, but I'm sure it will pop up again.

OP
OP
ProfeZZor X

ProfeZZor X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this 3 times in a 45 day period. Took it in 3 times. Only once did they actually fix/replace anything. Waited 2 weeks for parts. Started a Tech case on it. No real resolution. Approaching lemon law territory. Problem is, I'm not willing to lemon law it as I REALLY like this vehicle. Not sure where to go from here, but currently for the last 3 weeks working well and no message, but I'm sure it will pop up again.
Did they try rebooting the system by disconnecting the battery? My other advice would be to travel to multiple dealers, as one of them may have encountered it before.