What year and model?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomloans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need your opinion. I have a 2003 Tahoe z71 now. Want to upgrade to a newer vehicle. Looking for more power to tow a heavier boat along with a better ride and camera features too. Ltz I suppose. What year and model would u all suggest. I have dialed in my 2003 and have no issues with it at all but again I would like more power and a nicer ride... Let me know your thoughts.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need your opinion. I have a 2003 Tahoe z71 now. Want to upgrade to a newer vehicle. Looking for more power to tow a heavier boat along with a better ride and camera features too. Ltz I suppose. What year and model would u all suggest. I have dialed in my 2003 and have no issues with it at all but again I would like more power and a nicer ride... Let me know your thoughts.

What are you looking to spend and will you consider a Suburban?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
A Suburban would lend itself to a nicer ride when towing as well because of the wheelbase. By heavier boat, what is the GVW of what you would be towing?

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If budget allows, I'd suggest a 2018 with 6.2 and 10 speed transmission. You won't be sorry.

OP
OP
T

tomloans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep my cars for a long time. My main needs are as follows. I will not sell my 2003 for a less reliable car. Reliability is key for me. I have taken care of all the idiosyncrasies in this car myself. I know the vehicle better than I know my wife. Scary I know but i know what to expect. I know every hiccup.

So...

1) Reliability is number 1
2) Currently my z71 has about 285 HP. I understand the 5.3 now has up to 355HP and the newer transmissions help the engine with torque. Not sure if I need the 6.2 liter. The boat weighs only about 5000 LBs. The 03 Z71 is enough but barely. The boat pushes it around some when cornering and coming to a stop. Something I didn't feel before this new boat. Not a big deal but if I purchase, I don't want to feel the boat anymore.
3) I keep my vehicles for a long time. I learn them and repair them myself. So I will be spending about $30,000 or so on the next used one once a good deal comes along.
4) I am a little reluctant to sell my 03 for a hunk of expensive metal and leather that dies on me on my fishing trips. I have heard and read stories in these forums that makes my less confident on this move. Hence why I am writing this...

Thank you and I forgot to mention, definitely (non-full time) 4-wheel drive.

Tom

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep my cars for a long time. My main needs are as follows. I will not sell my 2003 for a less reliable car. Reliability is key for me. I have taken care of all the idiosyncrasies in this car myself. I know the vehicle better than I know my wife. Scary I know but i know what to expect. I know every hiccup.

So...

1) Reliability is number 1
2) Currently my z71 has about 285 HP. I understand the 5.3 now has up to 355HP and the newer transmissions help the engine with torque. Not sure if I need the 6.2 liter. The boat weighs only about 5000 LBs. The 03 Z71 is enough but barely. The boat pushes it around some when cornering and coming to a stop. Something I didn't feel before this new boat. Not a big deal but if I purchase, I don't want to feel the boat anymore.
3) I keep my vehicles for a long time. I learn them and repair them myself. So I will be spending about $30,000 or so on the next used one once a good deal comes along.
4) I am a little reluctant to sell my 03 for a hunk of expensive metal and leather that dies on me on my fishing trips. I have heard and read stories in these forums that makes my less confident on this move. Hence why I am writing this...

Thank you and I forgot to mention, definitely (non-full time) 4-wheel drive.

Tom

Tom, how far do you tow to get to your favorite boat ramps? Might consider a Suburban. Hey fellas, do all of the K2s come with a 2-speed transfer case or is it possible to get a single? 4LO would be nice on a slippery ramp.

OP
OP
T

tomloans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tom, how far do you tow to get to your favorite boat ramps? Might consider a Suburban. Hey fellas, do all of the K2s come with a 2-speed transfer case or is it possible to get a single? 4LO would be nice on a slippery ramp.

Minimum tow one way is 40 miles and often as much as 120 to 150 miles one way. Really need 4-wheel drive but not full time. Don't want the wear and tear and poor gas mileage of full time 4WD for no reason.

calif phil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your 03 will always be more reliable than a 2015-2020 version. They were much simpler built and less things to go wrong back then, especially if you get an LTZ. And if your budget is $30k I would say get a 2012 to 2014, I think it fits your criteria better.

Jeramia

Reaction score
Tom, We have a 05 and a 15 Tahoe's Before I bought the 15, we towed a 5,000 travel trailer all around the USA with the 05. Now I also have a 4500 lb boat that I tow with it.
Sounds like that you have to much weight on the tongue Either move the boat back, or slide the axels forward. Also sounds like the brakes on the trailer are not adjusted properly. Do you have the tow-hall mode? Have not tried the 15 to tow the boat, only two months old. (NTM)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak

Latest posts