Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brice117_

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So, I just got a 2012 SSV that was used as an offroad vehicle for the police, it has a slight lift and what not, I am wondering what can I do performance wise or wheels and tire wise to an SSV. The reason I say that is because not a lot of people seem to have SSVs (4x4) in the 5.3

If anyone can help me thanks!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Your best bang for the buck performance-wise is to get a Black Bear Performance tune. Will cost ~$600-$700, and it will significantly improve both motor and transmission performance (the tune modifies both the motor computer and the transmission computer).

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's your SSV's axles' gears?
If UNDER 3.42, upgrading to 3.73 would be close to ideal, especially if a lift is in its future.

Whatever you do, even if you can't afford a tune immediately, disable Engine Half@$$ IMMEDIATELY,
even if you need to use a plug-in to get it done.

OP
OP
brice117_

brice117_

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You found the right forum, I'd explore all of the 2007-2014 subforums for ideas. Your SSV is no different than a regular model Tahoe, in the fact that the same parts for a standard Tahoe will fit yours. You can do whatever you want to with it, that part is up to you.
Okay thankyou for clarifying this. I have some extra cash and want to see what I could do

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an ex Border Patrol SSV - have a Black Bear tune with stock 3.42 gears. The tune made the most noticeable difference with the transmission as it seem to no longer hunt for a gear with changes in elevation. The tune got rid of the AFM (displacement on demand) and I have added a few things to civilianize my truck. Check the suspension for wear items and replace - made a world of difference in how it rides. I have replaced the stock wheels with 20" Silverado take offs with Cooper ATs in stock size - works pretty good for me.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I just got a 2012 SSV that was used as an offroad vehicle for the police, it has a slight lift and what not, I am wondering what can I do performance wise or wheels and tire wise to an SSV. The reason I say that is because not a lot of people seem to have SSVs (4x4) in the 5.3

If anyone can help me thanks!
Congrats on the truck! Btw:

IMG_8608.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oscarrgv