What is the chance that GM would fix the vibration/buffeting issue in 2017 models?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BobDobalina

Reaction score
Had a 15 Tahoe built in Feb 14 and now a 16 Yukon built May 16. Neither has any vibes at any speeds, no "booming" no "buffeting". The Tahoe was on 18s with stock tires and Revos later. Yukon is on 20s. Both have some creaking in center console area. Fixed it in the Tahoe with silicone spray. Not got around to Yukon yet.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as they have the silly third row seats that do NOT fold flush with the floor, I won't buy one anyway. IMO, GM has ruined the Suburban.

I'll take that minor glitch over having to pull the damn seats out every time when needing the extra space. Maybe the XL is different, but honestly, the cargo area when seats down hasn't been an issue for us... you almost need to use a level to see that they aren't 100% flush. There are a few issues with new design but there's really no comparison to the previous models....they were so dated and overdue for a change.

Ralph Varick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
no fix buy it back..........They keep producing trucks with same problem....Wake up GM

Padraig

Reaction score
I'll take that minor glitch over having to pull the damn seats out every time when needing the extra space. Maybe the XL is different, but honestly, the cargo area when seats down hasn't been an issue for us... you almost need to use a level to see that they aren't 100% flush. There are a few issues with new design but there's really no comparison to the previous models....they were so dated and overdue for a change.

Sorry the third row seats do not work for me. Traded my 2008 on a low mileage 2013 xl. Nice vehicle and love the 6 speed transmission vs the 08s 4 speed. Hopefully GM will do something different about the seats by the time I need a new one. Also hope they quickly fix the other problems.

Padraig

FogDucker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is the booming at low speeds when you hit every imperfection in the road pretty consistent on every Yukon/Suburban?

At least those with 22s?

I had a 2015 Suburban loaner while the Yukons tires were being balanced 17 times. And that booming hitting bumps at low speed from 0-40 mph?

I had 3 problems: buffeting, booming and vibrating.

The buffeting is 100% related to out-of-round tires as AJS pointed out. When they got all 4 under 15lbs, the buffeting went away. I few weeks later, I put my new snow shoes on and it returned, albeit less severe. Got all 4 to 12lbs or better and it went away again. Likely not the root cause, but at least I have control over the inputs. [My roof was pulled apart and found to be fine, BTW.]

The booming was fixed by installing dampers on the exhaust system. The engineer working on my truck did not provide part numbers but I did post some pictures on the gm-trucks forum if anyone is interested. This was fixed on a separate visit than the buffeting and that's why I know the two are not related.

The vibrating was fixed with a complete rear axle replacement.

I'll still get the occasional hint of buffeting, especially with the Continental LX20s which are going to be replaced with Michelins. I'll only use LT tires going forward. I'm running on 20s for both summer and winter.

adrone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
All I can say is my 2016 LTZ has 22" rims and it came with Bridgestone Duelers. I have no way to verify this but two separate tire shops showed me the tires are labeled as a "spec" tire. Meaning it is a cheaper lower quality tire than a standard Bridgestone Dueler. Made cheap for Chevy but they are still using the Dueler name....Nice deception in the interest of being cheap there on Chevys part. Real high ethics to do something like that to hundreds of thousands of customers.
That being said my Tahoe has a vibration issue. After going to a tire shop and using a road force balancer my tires came out at 37lb, 35lb, 12lb, and 6lbs. Basically my Tahoe came with one good tire, one ok tire, and two tires that cant even be balanced. This is probably the issue with Most of the new Tahoes. Funny part is that Chevy actually sent the dealer an order not to even check the balance of my tires....After less than 3k miles...Even after I had been complaining about it to the dealer since Mile 1. I even complained on the test drive....They told me it was flat spots from sitting and it would correct itself in a few hundred miles....lol.
What do you expect when you only spend 70k on a new vehicle though????
Guys I hate it but the truth is that Chevrolet has become a dishonest and unethical corporation. It would appear their business model now involves mass scale denial, attempts to manipulate and deceive customers, and profit at all cost with ethics and integrity thrown out of the equation. When I see behavior from Chevrolet that counters this I will be the first one to give them credit for it but that has not happened with this extremely unhappy customer.

Last edited:

Rodbuster

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This may be OT, so apologies in advance. I have been looking for a vehicle to replace my '02 Avalanche. After reading the horror stories concerning the Yukons, Tahoes, etc, I feel that there is no way that I could purchase one. We took a new Tahoe for a ride, and to be blunt, thought it rode more like a "lumber wagon", than anything else. My Avalanche rode better!

And further investigation showed that Consumer Reports placed the Escalade at the very bottom of their customer survey rating, with the Tahoe and Yukon slightly above it.

I have been a GM truck man for years, but at this time, I do not feel that I would have confidence in one of their products.

Illnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same as many of you other folk...2016 Denali and NO buffeting noise. The sunroof design sucks as it sounds like there a Boeing 747 five above you though when it's open

Cha0s13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, that net mesh for the wind deflector sucks!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65