What did you do to your OBS GMT400 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Gears are a part of my master plan. While I will eventually settle on LT265 or 285/70/17 tires, the gears will not only be change to compensate for them but set to make the suv "see" itself on 3.73 gears with the stock tire size on. Just takes money.http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires... White Letters&partnum=87R7REVO2OWL&tab=Specs

---------- Post added at 07:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 AM ----------

BTW what speed are you at when that sift of yours happens?

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has a chirping noise when it's super cold (10 or below) and it has first been started up. It's hard to tell what is causing it, other than saying its on the front of the engine. I'm thinking it's the alternator or the idler pulley below the A/C pump. Grrrrr......

---------- Post added at 09:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 AM ----------

I was searching the interwebz about pulleys and found an excerpt of this book that details what parts can be interchanged between Chevy small blocks. Don't know if it will help anyone but thought it was worth posting. The Vortec motors are covered but less so than the older engines.

http://amzn.com/1934709239

Edit: link hopefully works now.

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
there is no idler pulley under the compressor that is the power steering pump and if not aligned, pulley to shaft wise, it can cause noise issues. Oh and your link don't work.

---------- Post added at 09:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 AM ----------

How are you at 70 mph at WOT when going from 2-3 and I am at 4800rpm at WOT doing 77+ and still in second gear? If that is your gearing and tires running that result I may need to rethink my gearing plan.

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is no idler pulley under the compressor that is the power steering pump and if not aligned, pulley to shaft wise, it can cause noise issues. Oh and your link don't work.

Thanks. I changed the link.

Sorry for the incorrect assumption.

noJeepshere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has a chirping noise when it's super cold (10 or below) and it has first been started up. It's hard to tell what is causing it, other than saying its on the front of the engine. I'm thinking it's the alternator or the idler pulley below the A/C pump. Grrrrr......

---------- Post added at 09:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 AM ----------

I was searching the interwebz about pulleys and found an excerpt of this book that details what parts can be interchanged between Chevy small blocks. Don't know if it will help anyone but thought it was worth posting. The Vortec motors are covered but less so than the older engines.

http://amzn.com/1934709239

Edit: link hopefully works now.

Does it sound like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnuxugqmVHA

noJeepshere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing terrible, it's the oil pump buzzing. The cold oil is too thick in the filter so it bypasses it until the stuff in the filter gets pushed out, usually takes a few seconds. The sound is the bypass valve. My Civic does it too in cold weather.

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's gonna blow, it's gonna blow, ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnn!

Anhhhhh!

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

I took my truck to the shop for a follow-up on all the leaks they fixed last time. They put a dye in the oil to make it easier to see. I haven't had any drips or puddles so all appeared good.

Get it up on the lift and found another leak, the front main seal. When I picked it up last time the tech it was possible that bot that seal and the other item they fixed were leaking. Can't remember what the other item is called. Anyway, another quote for $1k. Time for a second opinion and maybe a home fix if it's a straight forward job. Most of the labor was quoted as "oil pan", 6 hours. I guess they drop it and put a new gasket on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScottishJeff

Latest posts