What can I tow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FishinCricket

GMC Salesman
Reaction score
I assume that last statement was actually a question.

If so, the answer would be, "depends". Same answer for the question "Can I trailer a car?"

Not all cars and boats weigh the same thing, so it's a question that is too vague for a solid answer, however the general answer is that a 3.08 rear end has a lower towing capacity than a 3.42 rear end (it has the benefit of a higher fuel economy average, though) and that a "weight carrying" set up would be overweight with some larger boats and most full sized cars on a full trailer.

Most boats and such you should be fine with, but anything over around a 4500 lb boat/trailer is pushing it if it doesn't have any weight distribution or trailer brakes, etc...

Last edited:

b4z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have gotten solid advice from every poster here.
In the future if you look for another tahoe and are going to tow look for the K5L heavy duty towing which will include the GU6 3.42 rearend.
If you are towing with the 3.08s and have trouble going up hills just manually shift to 5th or 4th gear.
And I agree I would keep the weight towed to 5000 lbs or under without setup, watch the tongue weight and the total weight inside the vehicle as well.

OP
OP
enypde

enypde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of ball and hitch do you have and do you have a dropped hitch on your NNBS?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jimcauble

Latest posts