What’s the Significance of a Build Date?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeBoom

Reaction score
I received a message from my dealer today that my Yukon Denali had been assigned a build date of December 19, 2022. He mentioned that the holiday closure of the plant had not yet been announced, so that could push it back.

So, here’s the question: Is it realistic to actually expect that the Yukon will be built on that date? I don’t have enough time hanging around on these forums to know if a build date is actually a build date, or if it means something else. I understand that the wild card in all of this is how long it takes to get it shipped to my dealership (SW Wisconsin) once it’s built.

Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually you get a TPW or target production week. This is the week your vehicle is scheduled to be produced; and would mean GM has the parts supply identified and they plan to build your vehicle that week. Barring any oddities; if you have this date; your vehicle should be assembled then.

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the only caveat to add is that the "build date" or TPW is always listed as the Monday of that production week. As long as everything goes well (and the TPW doesn't get shifted) it should be built either that week or the next week at a minimum. Our 22 build was built on a Tuesday and our 23 was built on a Thursday - both of course had a TPW/projected build date of that Monday.

There have been numerous posters on here have their build slip into the following week but if that happens, the TPW doesn't change - it's just built late...

OP
OP
MikeBoom

MikeBoom

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your knowledge, gents. It looks like it’s about to happen….

pa31p

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny thing about build dates, most european countries when you sell a car you always list the build month on a car, like Mar/2022 or Dec2022
build date makes a difference when reselling over there big time. Jan vs Dec…

EducatorDan

Reaction score
Year and month is sometimes handy when tracking things like recalls/TSBs as well. With my Regal TourX there was an issue with a batch of accelerator pedals and GMs response was to give an extended warranty for that specific part (10 years, 120,000 miles) to the vehicles affected. As the notices were received forum members would post the month/year of build to try to track the window of vehicles affected.

jvande

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My Yukon production week was 12/5. Today's update from GM is my production week is 12/5. The chat wasn't able to provide any additional details.

OP
OP
MikeBoom

MikeBoom

Reaction score
In the past few days I’ve learned…or was at least told by a rep at GM Chat…that dealers get updated production information a couple of days before the customer service folks do. Seems odd to me; I’d think any update would immediately populate to the entire system.

tcw495

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does anyone know what Status Code means you've been assigned a build date? My Yukon is currently Status 200 (I believe meaning accepted by GM) and my dealer told me they expect it to go status 3000 by this week. What does 3000 mean?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar