Water leak inside doors question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Karlus

Reaction score
It seems like I have water inside the inner doors when it rains. I pulled the interior panel and the plastic vapor shield and there is water inside the door itself. It does eventually drain, but there are components in there like the window motor and expensive audio speakers.

The leak appears to be coming from the seal on the outside not extending far enough. Is this normal or has my seals on all of my doors shrank?

Thanks!!

upload_2020-7-5_11-21-25.png

OP
OP
Karlus

Karlus

Reaction score
Ok, might be answering my own question here: Looks like, yes, water can get inside the doors as there are two oblong shaped openings at the bottom of the door that let water out. Amazing design.

So now I am trying to determine if I can put some similar plastic around my expensive speakers to prevent them from getting wet.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
any water that gets in the door should just drain out, if not you can drill a holes or holes in the bottom of the door, water can get in the door not much you can do to prevent that, there should not be enough water retained in the door to damage anything if there is then the drain hole/s are plugged up.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Water will get inside your door, no matter what you do, as the rubber moldings at the top of the body of the door, where the window comes up and out of, are never fully water tight. As mentioned above, those rectangular slits at the bottom of the inside of the door are there to allow any water within the door to drain out. Unfortunately, these slits can become clogged, so you must periodically check them and ensure that they are clean and unobstructed. A pipe cleaner or any similar material can be used to keep the slits clear and unobstructed.

If you don't have a baffle behind the speaker, or if your speaker is not water resistant (many higher end speakers are), then you should install a baffle to cover the top of the back of the speaker, to keep any water drippage from above off of the speaker.

38JMD

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have also had this problem recently.. I gently pulled the bottom seal away, and stepped out of the way as 1/2 gallon poured out... and removed the 1/4" rectangle baffles.. there was some dirt @ the inside if the baffles so I'm guessing they were too clogged to drain. I am gonna run with out the baffles to see if I hear any more road noise but I doubt it will make a difference.. Terrible design flaw I would say.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne