Warmup and Idling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ezekiel

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It didn’t look like this was posted anywhere else so apologies in advance if I missed it…
But how important is it to idle the engine and warm up the duramqx before driving? I’m mostly talking about not too cold conditions like 40s.

I have a 2022 Yukon Denali duramax. New owner of a GMC, first time posting in this forum. Any other tips or tricks with this rig for longevity?

Thanks in advance!

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No Need, just drive it normal, this vehicle comes up to temp very quickly. Extended idling really isn't good for it. Change the oil and filter with proper items at every 5-7k and fuel filter about every 15k.
Walmart DEF when you need it... Otherwise enjoy it and don't baby it. Diesels like to work.

CTown Duramax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am new to diesel and to SUV's in general. This winter, we have been using our 2021 Tahoe LT Duramax LM2, our only car, to drive the kids to school two miles away. About 75% of our engine hours are spent idling in walking speed traffic. We go for a ten to 20 mile blast up the interstate to visit friends or to shop on weekends and once a month or less on a longer haul trips 150-200 miles. I have been concerned like you about warm up, idling, auto stop start, excess wear and tear on this beautiful engine. With only 4k miles, I can't tell too much, but it runs like a hurricane. I keep thinking of the old saying about marine diesels: "Diesel horses are bigger horses". So far, I will always want a diesel engine from now on. All that said, I am planning to change the oil every 2,500 miles.

Last edited:

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No Offense, but you are truly wasting your money. Tests have proven that even at 7500 miles, this oil has plenty of life left. I do it between 5500 and 7500.
I've had diesels since 2004 and my Cummins is running perfectly, and it gets changed every 2 years. It doesn't get a ton of miles.
My wife's jag factory change intervals are 16k miles! I change it at 10K just to keep it simple....
But hey, you do you...

CTown Duramax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No Offense, but you are truly wasting your money. Tests have proven that even at 7500 miles, this oil has plenty of life left. I do it between 5500 and 7500.
I've had diesels since 2004 and my Cummins is running perfectly, and it gets changed every 2 years. It doesn't get a ton of miles.
My wife's jag factory change intervals are 16k miles! I change it at 10K just to keep it simple....
But hey, you do you...

Not offended - here for advice. Maybe I am wasting my money and should change oil at 5,000. This thing was expensive enough. When I was young, we changed our own oil every 3,000 miles., but tolerances and metallurgy have improved. I have never run a modern turbo diesel and am worried about crankcase oil holding up in city driving. I am driving every day this winter taking the kids to school in walking pace city traffic - coast and stop - all that idle time.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne