Want to flush Transmission w/high miles. Good Idea?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jj_nycguy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
FWIW, I have never, personally, met anyone who did a flush with an older vehicle that did not have tranny issues and needed some serious work (some needed a complete rebuild) performed within a year. Friends of mine, who are mechanics, think of a flush on an older vehicle as a cash cow since they know the person will be back and they are going to make a nice large profit. Note... I said older vehicles not brand new ones.

Over the 30+ years I have been maintaining my vehicles, I have only dropped the pan, change the filter and drain the fluid. In all of the years, I have yet to have a tranny issue related to doing this. The old fluid provides the necessary friction to keep the older clutch plates from slipping. Remove that friction and issues will arise. In a brand new tranny, you can get away with a flush but as it ages, there is really no benefit other more cash in your mechanic's pockets.

It's very simple in my mind, clutch plates wear over time and will need to be replaced at some point, why not get the most out of those plates by leaving some friction material that resides in the older fluid. I would opt for the maximum life out of my plates before replacement. If you have extra cash to burn then have the flush done, which will show just how worn the plates are and if replacement is imminent.

...just my two cents, which my wife tells me isn't worth much of anything. :)

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had mine flushed at 110000 I have all repairs that I can't do, like a real flush, done at a tranny shop. The only reason they won't do one is if you're having problems with the tranny now. If not, they'll do it and it's good for another 75-100k, Also, if they flush you don't have to drop the pan and change the filter. My cousin has an F250 diesel with over 200k and he still gets it flushed. You've got to have a way to get it all out of the torque converter and my guy includes a conditioner to keep things moving.

Wulfaz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine has 190,000 miles on it. I did a drain and fill with filter replace. Still seems to run good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobsaget

Latest posts