Want to buy a Tahoe/Yukon Hybrid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
K

kind16

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, if you want the most fuel efficiency from this generation GM SUV, look for the 2009 and 2010 XFE models. They were advertised as getting 1 MPG more per gallon in the city and highway than the standard models due to weight savings and lowering. Certainly bigger and more comforatable and capable than those Toyotas!

To answer your first question, mine is not a hybrid, it's a 4x4. Over the last 30 months of ownership, it has cost $6.61 a day for repairs and maintenance. We've spent an average of $66 a month on repairs over the last 30 months. This includes interior trim repairs and replacing the bottle jack and tools that were lost among other things. The fluids are on a 36K mile service interval save for the engine oil, which is 5K.

Thank you, how to search for 2009 and 2010 XFE models? I went to carfax.com and can't found them.

For you repairs and maintenance caculation,. You said, $6.61 a day for repairs and maintenance. A month has 30 days, so, 6.61 X 30 = 198.3 USD per month, it should cost 198.3 X 12 = 2379.6 USD per year, that's quite a bit. What cost that much?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you, how to search for 2009 and 2010 XFE models? I went to carfax.com and can't found them.

For you repairs and maintenance caculation,. You said, $6.61 a day for repairs and maintenance. A month has 30 days, so, 6.61 X 30 = 198.3 USD per month, it should cost 198.3 X 12 = 2379.6 USD per year, that's quite a bit. What cost that much?

CarGurus allows you to search for them, Cars.com and AutoTrader for example do not have that option. You can however identify them by badging or their VIN number.

A 2009 GMC Yukon SLE XFE will have this VIN = 1GKEC233

A 2009 GMC Yukon SLT XFE will have this VIN = 1GKEC333

A 2009 Chevrolet Tahoe LS XFE will have this VIN = 1GNEC133

A 2009 Chevrolet Tahoe LT XFE will have this VIN = 1GNEC233

A 2010 GMC Yukon SLE XFE will have this VIN = 1GKMCAE3

A 2010 GMC Yukon SLT XFE will have this VIN = 1GKMCCE3

A 2010 Chevrolet Tahoe LS XFE will have this VIN = 1GNMCAE3

A 2010 Chevrolet Tahoe LT XFE will have this VIN = 1GNMCBE3

In the last 30 months a number of things have been repaired or replaced. Each oil change figures into this cost as well as all of the other fluids including brake and axle grease. The front and rear brakes along with the parking brake were completely serviced with all new factory parts. Plugs and wires were changed, new tires, interior door handles, gas cap, etc. My kids and passengers kept breaking one of the panels on a 2nd row captain's chair, replaced it three times already! Also replaced the catalytic converters with a high performance set and in the process broke a bolt wasting good money. Replaced Lift gate struts, light switch on dash because light bulb burnt out inside, 2 window switches and DIC switch because it was acting clunky but still works. This also includes money spent on wax and car detailing and detailing supplies under maintenance. Looking at list as I write this. Also have extra air and oil filters and fluids sitting on the shelf that is part of those numbers. Have also replaced headlamp bulbs, defogged the headlamps, replaced fog lamps and back up bulbs and reattached rear defrost tab.

My wife sees the maintenance and is concerned but wants one of her own so we are looking for a RWD XFE that gets better fuel economy than my 4x4 off-roading tow rig. The least expensive GMT900 SUV with regards to cost of ownership would be a 2009 RWD Yukon Denali with the 6.2 engine. She likes that one very much, it suits her right foot! Any RWD version will have lower life cycle costs than a 4x4 or AWD vehicle.

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Valve cover was one of the first things I changed but as it gets more mileage (225,000 now) it seems to burn more and more oil, probably the result of the previous owner following the OLM and running the nasty oil too long piston rings probably stuck. It had 195,00 on it when I bought it. It was pretty sludged up under the old valve cover............. I had a 2009 Sierra with an aluminum block 5.3 that was also an oil burner. Seems like I read somewhere that the Hybrid 6.0 FLA is also an aluminum block? These are different but similar engines from the PU truck engines. Those 6.0 iron blocks are tough as nails, these seem to be more fragile

DRKN57

Reaction score
I read that gas engines on hybrids tend to last longer cause the electric motor carries part of the load. Makes sense to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan