Want to buy a Tahoe/Yukon Hybrid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kind16

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have one question, are these truck reliable, what the annual average repair cost for them, thanks.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very reliable after you replace the engine, transmission and battery pack.

Tough to say, we only see folks on here when they break mostly. I know a fella on here @RebelBelle who is having repairs made to his now. Send him an email and ask him about his experience with it. He drives it a lot and for the most part has served him well.

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The two mode hybrid technology is obsolete and has been out of production for around 6 years. Repair parts for the hybrid system will be hard to find and even more expensive than they are now in the future. Most repair facilities will not have much knowledge or experience on service procedures for these (production volume was low) and most have probably never seen one in their shop.
I use my 2009 Hybrid as a daily driver and have driven it over 22k miles in the last year. It currently has 217k and is doing OK. I have already replaced the hybrid battery pack but engine and transmission are still strong other than the engine uses about a qt of oil every 1500 miles. At this mileage and age if the engine or transmission blows up it would be a toss up between repairing it or sending it to the local junk yard............ The great thing about these units is they are dirt cheap on the market place due to the issues noted above so a small investment gets you a unique vehicle that is fun to drive on the cheap. I would not recommend one of these as a sole source of transportation I think that is too risky. Best used as a second vehicle. Perfect "Beater" for construction jobsites where you would not want to take a new truck.

OP
OP
K

kind16

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for the replys.

Wow, a qt of oil every 1500 miles, that's a lot.
I am buying a daily driver.
Maybe will go with a Toyota 4runner or highlander

OP
OP
K

kind16

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
NEW VALVE COVER INSTALLED will resolve the qt oil leaking problem?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the replys.

Wow, a qt of oil every 1500 miles, that's a lot.
I am buying a daily driver.
Maybe will go with a Toyota 4runner or highlander

Well, if you want the most fuel efficiency from this generation GM SUV, look for the 2009 and 2010 XFE models. They were advertised as getting 1 MPG more per gallon in the city and highway than the standard models due to weight savings and lowering. Certainly bigger and more comforatable and capable than those Toyotas!

To answer your first question, mine is not a hybrid, it's a 4x4. Over the last 30 months of ownership, it has cost $6.61 a day for repairs and maintenance. We've spent an average of $66 a month on repairs over the last 30 months. This includes interior trim repairs and replacing the bottle jack and tools that were lost among other things. The fluids are on a 36K mile service interval save for the engine oil, which is 5K.

Last edited:

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one question, are these truck reliable, what the annual average repair cost for them, thanks.
the last 10,000 miles the most expensive repair was $40..

but maintenance was $650 for 10,000 miles..

Fuel costs about $1900 total. At about $3.79 to $4.59 a gallon
12V+ Battery, brakes and oil changes and two light bulbs

bought at 84,057 miles has 94,300 miles currently

22.6(0.0)
Avg MPG

23.6(+10.7)
Last MPG

31.1(10/3/19)
Best MPG

12.8(11/29/19)
Worst MPG

Hey was driving in the snow in Power Gear M1-M2 gears .. it averaged out to 18.2 anyways in 200 miles

considering my last car it was costing me $5-6,000 a year so just in this one year it's about $2800 or about 25% savings in the bank

next year it's not going to be as cheap though since I will have to spend $6-800 on tires....

Even my insurance is cheaper paying $556 a year for middle level coverage(not full coverage as it would cost 300 more a year but additional perks) my old car was costing $750 a year.. for most basic tier coverage.. i did not even drive it that much maybe 500 miles a month (well it was in the shop more then on the road)

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kind16

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
the last 10,000 miles the most expensive repair was $40..

but maintenance was $650 for 10,000 miles..

Fuel costs about $1900 total. At about $3.79 to $4.59 a gallon
12V+ Battery, brakes and oil changes and two light bulbs

bought at 84,057 miles has 94,300 miles currently

22.6(0.0)
Avg MPG

23.6(+10.7)
Last MPG

31.1(10/3/19)
Best MPG

12.8(11/29/19)
Worst MPG

Hey was driving in the snow in Power Gear M1-M2 gears .. it averaged out to 18.2 anyways in 200 miles

considering my last car it was costing me $5-6,000 a year so just in this one year it's about $2800 or about 25% savings in the bank

next year it's not going to be as cheap though since I will have to spend $6-800 on tires....

Even my insurance is cheaper paying $556 a year for middle level coverage(not full coverage as it would cost 300 more a year but additional perks) my old car was costing $750 a year.. for most basic tier coverage.. i did not even drive it that much maybe 500 miles a month (well it was in the shop more then on the road)

Thank you for the detail info. It is totally acceptable and the repair cost is low, that's what I thought too. But I guess you need to change the stock battery very soon... That's the most cost repair. After the battery and tires ($4000), it should be fine for 5 years without big repair?

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kind16

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is what I copied from youtube.

(200K+ mile) 2009 Hybrid Tahoe Owner and self-proclaimed GM Hybrid engineer here, with everything you would ever need to know about the Hybrid system! In stock configuration the Hybrid is designed to run on Electric Mode only up to 25mph, then run the gas engine with varying applications of the electric motors to assist it at higher speeds. My 2009's battery is is poor condition so it runs the Gas engine almost all the time while in motion, only shutting it down when at a stop. To run the vehicle in "normal mode" (disabling auto-stop and the hybrid system) shift into "M4." The car will not shut off the gas engine or run in "V-4 mode" (active fuel management/displacement on demand will be disabled) in this gear. The Hybrid transmission consists of 2 electric motors and 4 planetary gears allowing it to function as a 6 speed in "Drive" and a 4 speed in "M4." Under the hood: Driver's side box is a fuse box, passenger side "Hybrid" box is the electrical system's inverter (converts electricity to/from AC & DC). Gas engine is indeed a 6.0L LS-Derivitive/Vortec engine similar to the ones found in the gas 2500 trucks and the 6.2L in other Yukons/Escalades. The gas engine has displacement on demand, meaning it will shut down 4 cylinders at highway speed to save gas. If you own one of these hybrids or a GM vehicle with a V8 that has active fuel management (2007-2011 models) IMMEDIATELY research GM technical bulletin 10-06-01-008F regarding the driver side valve cover and PCV valve. YOUR CAR MUST HAVE THIS NEW VALVE COVER INSTALLED IF YOU WANT TO AVOID EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION, SPARK PLUG FOULING, MISFIRES, AND POTENTIAL PROBLEMS WITH PISTON RINGS, ETC. later in vehicle life. This bulletin also covers non-hybrid LS/Vortec derivative engines with active fuel management/displacement on demand. To learn anything you want to know about the hybrid system in these Tahoes/Yukons/Escaldes checkout this article: http://wallacecloud.com/index.php/everything-you-would-ever-need-to-know-about-general-motors-hybrid-tahoe-yukon-and-escalade/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts