VIN description

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BattleTank

Reaction score
Recently got my hands on a 2011 Tahoe that came from a nearby police dept. My vin indicates it is a PPV unit, but nothing in my RPO list has anything police related. I'm assuming it might have been a higher ranking official car. It does have the 6J1 harness, but no 6J3. Front seats are cloth and rear seats are pleather. HPTuners says max speed is 98MPH for the 4X4.

What in the VIN says its a police car/package?

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My VIN indicates it is a PPV unit ...
... What in the VIN says its a police car/package?
No it does not, not in and of itself.
It's RPO / SEO codes that indicate what it is / what it's got
Z56 Police Package chassis conversion
5W4 Municipal Special Service Vehicle
but nothing in my RPO list has anything police related.
If it's not a PPV or SSV, maybe the dealership just gave the local gov't a deal?
Not every vehicle that the government bought has to be a PPV / SSV.

OP
OP
B

BattleTank

Reaction score
You keep saying the VIN doesn't indicate what it is. My insurance company says its police related, my Matco diag tool says it is, and Carfax says its a "special service" vehicle. All VIN entered.

OP
OP
B

BattleTank

Reaction score
5W4 is listed on the RPO, but I'm just curious how its derived from the VIN.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No normal person can just look at VIN and say, 'I know it's a Special Service Vehicle'.
Your insurance, Matco diag tool, & CarFax obviously have access to databases of some sort.
I grab VINs & plug them into
www.free-vin-decoder.com
all the time precisely because I can't tell the diff between
1GNEC13Z06R139635,
1GNEC13Z16R114713, &
1GNEC13Z16R152653.
They're all '06 RWD Tahoes. Which one's the PPV?

Jimgeorge

Reaction score
Recently got my hands on a 2011 Tahoe that came from a nearby police dept. My vin indicates it is a PPV unit, but nothing in my RPO list has anything police related. I'm assuming it might have been a higher ranking official car. It does have the 6J1 harness, but no 6J3. Front seats are cloth and rear seats are pleather. HPTuners says max speed is 98MPH for the 4X4.

What in the VIN says it’s a police car/package?
One of the RPO codes in the glove compartment is PPV or SSV. My 2011 two wheel drive is probably similar. No spotlight, no police paint job, civilian console, no cage in back. It had small red/blue lights inside the front and back and rear side windows. All hidden until they were turned on. Deep tint throughout the entire vehicle including front windshield. One large hole on roof patched with silicone.

Attachments

• E4247125-EF21-4DDF-BEE9-554EB7C3B46E.jpeg
    E4247125-EF21-4DDF-BEE9-554EB7C3B46E.jpeg
    327.5 KB · Views: 2

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The vin probably says 1GNLC…. That’s the flag for insurance.
Sparksalot, care to guess which VIN is a Z56?
None starts with 1GNLC.

Point is without a database to refer to, the VIN itself is not enough to be sure.
BattleTank's insurance agent may not have access to comp-nine, but they've got access to something.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sparksalot, care to guess which VIN is a Z56?
None starts with 1GNLC.

Point is without a database to refer to, the VIN itself is not enough to be sure.
BattleTank's insurance agent may not have access to comp-nine, but they've got access to something.
Yours are all 06. The later ones are different. My 2011 follows that. The L is the pointer in my vin.

OP
OP
B

BattleTank

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.

Compnine does indeed pull up RPO's when the vin is entered.

My prefix is 1GNSK and only 1 RPO code on my sticker indicates anything PPV/SSV related.

So, it does sound like these places are using some form of database to see the RPO's assigned to the vin to see exactly what it came with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blacksheepstuntz